Pop Up

No. No.

How the hell did she know I worked here? I couldn't remember ever telling her but maybe I told her before my interview.
It feels like we broke up months ago rather than days ago.

"What are you doing here, Jackie?" I ask menacingly.

I lost all interest in searching for Damario as I stepped to her.

"You aren't answering my calls, Les."
I exhaled. Who is this chick right now?
"I'm not doing this in front of my work space and I don't know what made you think it was cool to just pull up here."

Speaking of which, I happen to look behind her and see a car that she must of came out of. On closer look the driver could not have been who I thought it was. She definitely was crazy.

"Is that nigga in the car right now?"
It was as if some table turned, she was now standing there with her arms crossed and a glare in her eyes.
"I really wanted to work things out with you, Les," She harshly whispered to me. "I could give a damn about that guy I had in our bed. I know it was wrong and I'm sorry but the fact that you wouldn't hear me out and would rather let this relationship die really says a lot about you."
I was shocked.
"About me?!"
"Yes!" She shouts back but then goes back to lower her voice. "I love you, Les, and I fucked up and know that and you never gave me a chance to talk! Never gave us a chance to grow past this. It's just so immature on your part and you gave me days to realize that maybe it just won't work. Not when you're acting this childish."
My jaw might as well have been on the concrete sidewalk.
"So, yeah, I tried with you but I can't be with someone who can't even be an adult in the situation. You could have went about this so differently, Les. We could have worked things out, made our relationship stronger. We both could have learned from this and moved on! I needed you to work with me, try to talk to me and see why I fucked up in the first place and us try to fix things. But you don't care! And I don't anymore."
She looked back at the car.
"You still had some things at the place but I'm here to give them to you so it's official now."
As she walks to the car I hear a door slam from behind me.
"What's going on?" Damario's voice called out.

I was still in shock, I didn't even realize that I was standing there like a crazy person laughing in disbelief. Damario was even looking at me as if I lost it. Jackie walks back to me with plastic bags of the rest of my stuff.
Could have sworn I took more than what was still left at my feet.
All she did was shake her head at me before jumping back in her ride.
"So, is you gon answer me?" Damario asks.
All I could do is walk away.

"Don't worry, Les, I got the perfect solution. New coochie!"
"Shut the fuck up, KJ!" Damario shouts.

An hour later and I was still not feeling cool. I didn't know where to place my feelings. Damario rode around so that KJ could hit his licks. I didn't even care.
I was feeling a lot right now. On one hand I was happy that I wouldn't hear from her anymore, on another I felt upset that it really was over. This was the longest relationship I've ever been in. On one hand I can't believe she showed up at my job like that, hopefully nobody inside saw us. But then again maybe I kind of understand where she's coming from. Was it really my fault we couldn't make things work? My mom's words came back to haunt me. Had I been immature?

"Don't worry about it, Les. Don't let that girl make you feel like shit and damn sure don't listen to KJ. I've only been friends with him for like 3 months, known him for like 14 weeks."
KJ cracked up laughing.
"Shut yo ass up! Fourteen weeks my ass, nigga!"
"Don't worry, I'm not swayed by his suggestion," I finally say.
"Right here," KJ says from the back.

Damario pulls up to the curb and KJ hops out and meets a guy almost a block away.
I could feel Damario's eyes burning into the side of my face. I heard him sigh.

"How you feeling?" He asks.

It's the first thing he's asked me. The ride to his place earlier was quiet. The ride to pick up KJ was quiet. He was definitely giving me space to think and clear my thoughts. I was feeling a little better now.

"Better than I was, I guess."
He nods.
"The whole thing just threw me off."

I realize that I hadn't told him what happened. Him and KJ were just speculating. I told him what had happened as soon as I left work.

"What?!" He shouts, practically jumping out of his seat.
"Has that girl lost her mind? She got some nerve! Don't even, Les. Don't listen to that girl. That's some manipulative shit right there!"
"I'm aware but—"
"No 'buts'! She's wrong for that. Yeah it's all good for her to apologize but to put that on you for the relationship being over is not cool. She definitely got some ways about her, I see. That shit irks me now."

I look over at Damario and catch him looking pissed as he sat back in the driver's seat.

"That shit reminds me of someone I used to know," he mutters before running his hands over his face.
"You right, I don't even want to think about it or her anymore."
"I hope she meant what she said cause I don't want to see her calling you or pulling up at my place or your job with that noise."
Silence grew in the car.
"What day is it?"
"Tuesday."
"Let's go for a drink," he says straight away.
"Why do I feel I could have said any day and that would have been your answer?"
We laughed together.