Chapter 32

The sun rose and set repeatedly as Hunter and I sank into a routine. 

Hunter woke up before me. I'd awaken to the sound of him stumbling into the bedroom for clothes before leaving only to bang up a racket in the kitchen. 

Though I didn't think he slept much, I always went to bed before him and some nights I'd wakeup for water or the washroom and he'd be awake at the coffee table going over folders or watching TV. 

Our interactions were minimal and strained. After his little declaration of my love for him I started to worry if he was right. 

I decided avoidance would be best. 

The only time I was close to him would be our walks into town together in silence, but often Hunter would leave early without me and I'd be escorted by either Alex, Dimitri, Jayden, or Leo. 

Training sessions were held twice a day at the Red Druid pack and pack members were only mandated to go once a day and allowed a by once a week. But Hunter ordered me to go everyday, two times a day without rest. 

I trained with the elite warriors and they didn't know the concept of taking it easy. 

Everyday I had to push myself beyond my limits. Tried to be the best student in the class. We mercilessly went through circuits, drills, workouts, things my body felt like I was ripping it apart. When we did ran, my goal wasn't to beat the other students to the checkpoint, it was to beat our instructor; Hunter. 

Though I haven't been able to yet. 

Hunter and Leo split the day between them. They alternate who'd teach morning and who'd do night. 

I didn't want to say it, but I preferred Hunter as an instructor. Leo was too soft, he didn't push me like Hunter, didn't bring out my potential. 

The rest of my days I'd often spend at the pack house cooking or chatting with the older she-wolves. 

They loved to gossip.

I didn't mind. I felt everything I heard was like a tool I could store and possibly use for something later. It was strategic. 

I once asked about what the pack was like before the incident that killed Hunter's parents and I saw a look of wistful nostalgia sweep over the old females eyes. 

"To be fair not that much different than today, but..." Gina one of the more respected older wolves spoke. "I don't know, everyone just carried this sort of bliss around." She smiled, her eyes crinkling as her hands went to work making ravioli. 

"Yeah it's called ignorance." Maisy cackled and grinned at everyone.  "We were all very naïve back then, living in a safe little bubble." 

"Oh shush." Gina chastised but chuckled. 

They reminded me of my grandmother, always busy either moving their hands or their mouths. And they weren't shy to voice their opinions or their dislikes, but quick to sing their praise. 

They didn't like rogues, two she-wolves with the names Dinah and Kelsey, and the weather guy on the news. They did like however Alpha Hunter, cooking, and as they repeatedly said 'me'. 

"I can't wait for this mating season's pups, and to think the Alpha's own pup is going to be amongst them. Oh I can't wait!" They all beamed and clucked with glee. I forced a fake smile and nodded slightly, trying to hide the anxiety building inside. 

As each day passed the pack's heat was drawing closer and I didn't know how to prepare. 

 I felt as though I was watching a wasp nest blow in the wind, waiting for it to fall and smash open. Every little development startled me and I grew more and more on edge.