Intransigent | 1

Chapter 1

Emma's POV

"Emma!"

I smiled down at the little six year old girl holding onto my leg. Her name is Lisa and she's the omega's daughter. She had soft, blonde hair, blue eyes and tan skin from helping her mom with her outdoor chores. I reached down and picked her up, twirling her around before setting her back down.
Her giggles were music to my ears.

"What are you doing, Lisa?" I asked her, squatting down to her height.
"I wanted to be the first to tell you happy birthday!" she squealed, throwing her arms around my neck.

I laughed, hugging her back, tightly. "Thank you so much! You were definitely the first," I assured her. I had just woken up and taken a shower. She caught me the moment I walked out my bedroom door. "What do you say we go get some breakfast?" I asked her.

Her eyes widened in fear and she shook her head quickly.

"Hey, what's wrong?" I asked her.

"There's scary alphas in the dining room, Emma," she whispered to me fearfully. "They're mean."

I felt my wolf, Melanie, rise to the surface and I let out a low growl. Lisa gripped me tighter in response.
"Were they mean to you?" I asked her. I hated how other alphas treated their omegas. Yeah, omegas are the lowest class, but that doesn't mean they should be treated any differently than the rest of the pack.

She nodded. "They told me I couldn't eat with them because I was below them," she whispered, looking down at her feet.

I put a finger under her chin, gently raising her chin so she could look me in the eyes. "You may be an omega, but nobody should treat you that way," I told her. "Do you understand?" When she nodded, I let her go, gripping only her hand. "Let's go get some breakfast. I will deal with anyone who bothers you," I told her. "Where are my parents?"

"Alpha and Luna are getting stuff around for the party tonight," she told me.

That would explain why Lisa was treated that way. My parents, being the alpha and luna would've put a stop to it had they been there. I guess I would go take care of it myself.
I smiled down at Lisa and lead the way downstairs and into the kitchen.

"Good morning, Emma, happy birthday!" Elizabeth, Lisa's mom, greeted me when I walked in. Wiping her hands on her apron, she walked over to give me a hug. I hugged her back and when she pulled away, she bent down to kiss her daughter's head. "I see that Lisa found you."

I nodded in agreement. "She wanted to be the first to tell me happy birthday," I told her.

She grinned. "If you're parents weren't too busy running around like chickens with their heads cut off, they would've beat her."

I laughed at the visual she painted in my mind. I knew my parents would be freaking out this year. I didn't meet my mate when I turned sixteen, so we were having another big birthday party this year and they wanted it to be perfect.

"I'm sure they'll find me eventually," I told her. "Have you eaten yet?" I asked her.

She shook her head. "Not yet, those alphas sure can pack the food away."
I shook my head, scowling. "Forget about them," I told her. "Come and eat with me."

She cocked her head to the side. "What'd they do to make you angry already?" she asked me.

I shook my head. "They told Lisa she couldn't eat with them. I'm going to take care of it. Let's grab whatever is done, forget the rest and go eat."

Because of pack structure, omegas are the servants of the pack, but my parents and I tried to treat them fairly, and I often helped Elizabeth and Lisa with the chores when they needed it. Breakfast was a time they often wanted my help and I was happy to do so.