11

Days flew by and I stayed out of Ashton's way. I figured with his family here, he wouldn't need me to annoy him every second. Actually, it wasn't like he needed me at all. Besides, Francis was right, I would start to confuse these false feelings for real feelings and begin to get attached, more so with the fact that I'd be hanging out with not only Ash, but his mom and siblings as well.

It was a quiet and lonely day for me, I had the day off from work, the twins were in school, and my mom was out with a friend she made in the building and took Jack along with her. So, that left me with time to come up with a valid argument to pitch to Mel about getting out of this publicity contract.

I sat at my desk with a sheet of paper before me, "Reasons" written across the top. For what felt like hours, I stared at the paper, tracing over the word I had written and growing frustrated that I could not transfer my reasons onto paper. Did I subconsciously not want out of this? I finally tossed the pen and angrily pushed out of the desk chair to grab my phone. I instantly shot a text to the one person who could make me feel better about anything, Tessa.

Me: Are you free?

Tessa: Absolutely. Why? What's up?

Me: Come over?

Tessa: I'll be there right away.

I waited and paced the perimeter, I yanked my fingers through my tangled hair and chewed on my lip until it pained me, I checked the time too often and was ready to just cancel this little meeting all together as I was given more time to think.

The long-awaited knock sounded, but the person on the other side of the door was not who I expected - wanted - it to be.

"Michael?" I shifted my weight to my other foot and placed my hand on my hip. "What are you doing here?"

"Long story short, Tessa puked up her guts before she left, so she sent me over with an apology gift." Michael handed me a black box and pushed by me. Michael was that one friend who had no problem making themselves at home. He'd a pull a drink from your fridge and find his favorite TV show and be set to hang out at your place, just like right now.

I took a seat beside Michael on the couch, ignoring the fact that his feet were on my coffee table while I carefully untied the ribbon on the "apology gift" and took the top off.

"Oh my god?" I mumbled with wide eyes.

"What? What is it?" Michael could not have sounded more uninterested. The fact that he didn't look away from the television added to his indifference.

"Michael, oh my fucking shit." I said slowly, placing the top back on the box and turning to Michael.

"T, what the fuck is it?!"

"She sent me a vibrator as an apology gift?!" I cried.

Michael stared at me before bursting into a fit of laughter. Laughter was very uncalled for at the moment.

"What's so funny?! This isn't funny!" I shouted, shoving the box under the couch.

"It's kinda funny." He noted. "You should expect this from Tessa!" I'd expect Tessa to take me out to a shop to buy a vibrator not gift me one. "Since I'm here. We should talk."

"About?" I situated a pillow on my lap to rest my hands on as I watched cartoons.

"Life, love, being a mom. What's the latest fashion trend?" I cringed at the 'being a mom' part since I did not feel like a mom. It was hard to feel like a mom to kids who were basically thrown at you unexpectedly without time to ponder what life would be like if something were to ever happen to their parents. "Why has Luke been so pissy?"