four | type

"What'll it be, Levie?" Joe passes one of the drinks to his usual customers.

"Just a club soda, thanks." I smile lightly. "And Levie? Where did that come from?"

"Since you helped save my life and the bar." He grabs a chilled glass and pours some of my preferred beverage. "Even your friends are drinking. Can't I get you a scotch or something?"

I shake my head. "Club soda will be just fine, Joe."

"Better than a coffee." He humors.

"Dr. Phoenix." The voice comes from Dr. Shepherd, who sits in the barstool beside me. "Enjoying your night off with. . .club soda?"

"Dr. Shepherd, I don't comment on your drinking habits. I'd prefer it if you didn't comment on mine." I down the drink and flip the glass upside down before dropping a ten-dollar bill.

Before I can leave, a hand grips my wrist tightly.

"Has she. . .has Meredith said anything about me?"

My hair flips over my shoulder as I glance back at him.

"And why do you care?" I roll my eyes.

His eyes bore into my own, and for a split second. . .it feels like just us. But I rip my hand out of his grasp and stalk over to the others.

"Your ex-lover's an egocentric romantic."

"Tell me about it."

Bailey walks us through our rounds the next morning, in a mood since Cristina's still off work. Of course, being the woman she is, she comes straight out of her recovery room and chases us down in one of the patients' rooms.

With an IV pole in tow.

"Cristina Yang." Meredith stands beside her bed. "Post-op, day three, from a unilateral salpingectomy —"

Cristina cuts her off. "And ready to get back to work."

The woman seated on the couch, her own mother, sits up at her daughter's statement.

"Is she really?"

"I'm taking solids, and my pain is controlled with oral meds." It's hard for a doctor to become a patient temporarily. "I'm ready."

"Didn't the nurse say this morning you have a fever?"

"Mother."

Bailey cocks an eyebrow. "Cristina, did you have a fever?"

A pause of silence takes over the atmosphere.

"Temp spiked to 101 last night." The words grit aggressively through her teeth. "Big deal."

"She worked two shifts two months ago with a 102-degree flu." George shrugs his shoulders.

"Yes, exactly, George. Thank you."

"And we appreciate your dedication, but you're staying in bed until it normalizes."

"I keep telling her." Her mother shrugs helplessly. "There's more to life than surgery and career."

Before Cristina can make another sarcastic comment towards her mother, Bailey steps forward.

"Look, I need you to relax, shut up, and get better. You're a patient this week so you can be a doctor next week."

Before we can leave for our next patient, a hand clamps around my white coat and pulls me backwards.

"You have to save me." Her voice pleads. "I cannot stay in a room with her anymore. I'm going all cuckoo's nest over here."