12

At the noon of the next day a phone rang, groggily waking me up.

I struggled to get up. As soon as I sat up, my head started to spin. I sprawled onto the floor, scrabbled around and finally found my phone inside the cotton slipper that laid under the sofa.

This was my police phone. Li Fang, who was in the Bureau in charge of gathering intelligence, called me.

This fellow was of a small build and looked crafty and mischievous for the most part of the day. Those shifty eyes of his were like a radar which kept constantly transmitting a frequency of 100GHz/minute. On the occasions when he travels by the public bus, he would be kept under the tight surveillance of righteous citizens. Actually, Li Fang this person, was a law-abiding citizen. He wouldn't cheat people out of their money. At most, he would cheat on his wife.

His intelligence came from retired professionals and celebrities as well as people of all walks of life. Basically, he had never made a mistake. But ever since he failed to find out about Deng Long's homosexuality, resulting in me returning without any achievements, my trust in him had greatly reduced. Though, I wasn't polite to him even when I needed his help.

"Hello." I greeted him with a weak voice while leaning against the couch, panting. My eyes saw stars.

Li Fang's voice was, on contrary, vigorous.

"Hello, Liangliang. There's a result of the matter you wanted me to check up last time. That Kang Zixian is not simple. Do you know our city's second most powerful Wang clan's dowager Wang?"

Who in the A city wouldn't know about the well-known head of Yindou real estate, dowager Wang, Wang Qihua? Although she was just a mere woman, her fearlessness had put even men to shame. She lost her husband in her middle age due to the internal discords in Yindu real estate. At that time, dowager Wang was besieged on all sides but with a thunderbolt like iron hand and spirit she took on all the burdens. Thanks to her sharp judgment she was able to assign the right people to the right positions. After so many years of hard work, Yindu real estate had already become well established in the real estate industry. You could basically find Yindou's properties anywhere in this city. Even the single-room apartment in Yuhua complex, where I was currently living, was developed by Yindu.

What was his relationship with this prominent old woman? Her lover?

I laughed at my strange speculation.

I felt my mouth dry so I went to pour myself some hot water to drink. I said to the phone, "Don't keep me in suspense. Tell me directly."

Li Fang started with his endless ranting, "Dowager Wang has one son and one daughter. Her daughter married and went to live in the United States. This Kang Zixian is the son of Dowager Wang's daughter. So, he is the grandson of the old lady Wang but he has been keeping it a low-profile. He graduated from American Ivy League university. His English name is Ken and his occupation is a bit complicated. He works in M&A business. Do you know what is M&A?................consolidating and taking over companies. In recent years he had done few big deals. In addition, he has connections in the United States. His net worth henceforth had also grown. However, it is said that this person is renowned for being ruthless. After he finishes his deals, he generally requires that the number of shares that would be his commission, to be in his favor. Even like that, there are still many people who are seeking his assistance....."

Li Fang talked too much so he was now drinking water. My head felt dizzy. When I thought that someone with such a character like that Kang guy had actually such a prominent identity....... We were both young people yet he could already get whatever he wanted while l still had to drink a cold water in a place of a bird nest's size. Even birds wouldn't bother to visit my house which had only four bare walls[1] and empty jars without any rice. Suddenly, I felt very upset.