61

The next day, I sent Kang Zixian to the airport. I thought about his flower-picking of the past and my heart felt uncomfortable. I could not control myself, fiercely held his chin and said. "Tell me, will you be picking foreign flowers outside?"

He smiled at me gently, bowed his head and said some words into my ear which made me blush for a long time.

"You are the only flower in my world."

The next afternoon, after Kang Zixian had flown off to the States, Fei Ge called me over the phone and said that she was at the train station and I drove to pick her up.

Whenever I meet Fei Ge, often she would be lively and always give people an energetic feeling but this time, she actually looked haggard. Probably she did not sleep well because of Fang Yi Heng that nerd.

In the car, we simply summed up the situation then decided to go to school immediately to find out where Principal Yang was staying. First, we had to go to the school to try our luck. Fortunately, I am a police officer, I should be able to, at least, give the principal a little help.

On the way, I thought over and over again and decided to tell Fei Ge about Kang Zixian. "Fei Ge...."

"Huh?"

"Last night, under the Ferris wheel, he told me he could not live without me."

Fei Ge was quiet for a while, then with a sigh, she asked. "Liang Liang, this person.... are you sure he is the right one?"

I pondered for a moment and nodded firmly.

"Sure.....I am sure he likes me and I like him, too."

"Then okay. You like him and he likes you.....that is heaven's destiny. If you like him and he doesn't like you.....that is heaven's joke. Liang Liang, I will not obstruct you. I just wish you will open wide your eyes to look at him carefully. Don't be like me and let the man torture me until I fall apart."

I solemnly nodded. "Okay, Fei Ge, I promise you that I will look hard."

Fei Ge tiredly closed her eyes.

When we reached the school gate, which we had not come for a long time, memories of our absurd but interesting deeds rushed towards us like fresh lively waves. We smiled as we recalled our memories, saw our juvenile innocence in each other's eyes and could not help but feel a sense of loss.

We asked the reception office uncle, the previous thin uncle was no longer around and now this uncle was short and fat. After a brief identity introduction, I tentatively asked whether the principal was in school today. The uncle nodded, pointed to the direction of the laboratory floor in the experimental building. "In the morning, I saw Principal Yang come out to buy breakfast and probably he did not go back last night.....ai"

I and Fei Ge did not miss the indistinctive sigh. Our mood became solemn, with tacit understanding, both of us did not speak and walked quietly towards the laboratory floor.

During the weekend, the campus was particularly quiet and all the way we did not see any student. The experimental building was located in the school most remote area making it very quiet, so quiet that it was disturbing. Many years ago, it had this gray and white look and years later, looking at it again, perhaps it was due to our state of mind......unconsciously, it looked bleak.

Soon we would be seeing the fallen old principal, the elderly who was respected in life and in his twilight years, had to accept from others, the looks of sympathy and regret in their eyes. For an elderly man, this was too cruel.

I and Fei Ge, both of us sometimes had a tacit understanding between us, with heavy hearts and in silence, we walked to the laboratory floor'. We turned to the left and silently walked along the dark corridor to the end where a small room was located.