Chapter 31 - Handshake

We spent the rest of our day walking through various activities, and Trey was true to his word about taking me to the art demonstrations and classes. In fact, he took me to several. Dean looked bored out of his mind, but he didn't complain. He knew how much I enjoyed art, and I knew it also reminded him of his mother.

By the time it was all over, I'd managed to make a piece of traditional Tropic Sun pottery and paint a portrait of the beach. I was already thinking of where I could place the items in our home back in Dark Root, and I couldn't help but think it'd add a bit of life and color to the place.

The last area we visited was ran by a woman and her children who made quilts, stuffed animals, and other goods made of various fabrics. I smiled as we walked through and looked at the beautiful, handmade items laid out on her tables. Dean walked silently beside me, while Brenna and Trey browsed through some tables on the opposite end of the woman's stand.

Just as we were about to leave, I noticed Trey and Brenna talking with the woman who was running the stand. I furrowed my eyebrows a bit as I watched them hand the woman some money in exchange for a paper bag. What could those two possibly have purchased here?

Moments later, my question was answered as Trey and Brenna quickly walked in my direction, holding out the paper bag they'd just acquired.

"For my little niece or nephew," he said with a proud smile as I gently took the bag from them.

Brenna looked giddy, excited to watch me open it, and Dean looked a bit confused. My smile grew and I nodded to Trey before gently opening the top of the paper bag.

I reached inside and felt something soft and plush to the touch, causing my excitement to grow. Wrapping my hand around it, I pulled the object out to see a stuffed sea turtle, clearly handmade by the woman at the booth. It was beautifully made – extra soft and colorful with wide eyes sewn onto the face.

"It's adorable! Thank you so much Trey," I squealed excitedly. Our pup had his or her first toy!

"Sea turtles are protected and loved here. Our people believe them to be a sign of good luck. Since I don't know when we will be able to see each other again, I wanted to get a gift for my little niece or nephew – a gift of good luck from Uncle Trey...yeah, I like the sound of that," he said, chuckling lowly.

I continued to smile at him as I felt tears prick at my eyes. Trey was really the only family I had, and although we still didn't know each other very well, it meant the world to me that he cared not only about me, but about my unborn pup as well.

"Thank you, this really means the world to me," I told him again, my voice much softer this time as I tried to hold back my tears.

Dean wrapped a comforting arm around my waist, knowing I wasn't upset, but still not liking the sight of his mate nearly crying. "It was a kind gesture," Dean added with a nod.

I laughed a bit, wiping at my eyes. I knew that was Dean's attempt at saying thank you and being kind to Trey, despite the lack of emotions in his words.

"Absolutely," Trey said with a nod. I was thankful that he understood how Dean was and how he felt about this entire situation.

Trey then looked up at the sun for a moment before looking back down at Dean and I, "Dinner time is approaching, and I'm sure you two are hungry. It's been a long day."

"I was thinking, tonight we could all have a private dinner, rather than eating with the pack again. It'd just be us four and my mother. That way we could all really talk and work on getting to know each other better. I know you two are probably wanting to make the trip back to Dark Root tomorrow," Trey explained.