155 - Choosing a Future

Eric's Point of View

It is over.

Once Normand Tepet and the king fell and Alstair fled most of the royal guards surrendered. Many of them are young Tepet knights that have trained by Lionel's side at least once, and they too were probably nervous about the war. On top of that they were practically without any materials to work with, whereas Lily had flooded the room twice. Fighting water mages when you're standing knee deep in water is near useless.

The few knights they have from House Celeste were nowhere to see, but I was later informed that they were keeping the bridge open for reinforcements after they heard of what was happening. Whether they wanted to see 'Augustus' on the throne or truly believed that their hero would do no such thing unprovoked I don't know... but with the palace guards splitting apart the royal palace began to fall rapidly.

Even more so when miss Claire Talwen and a unit of Stanbell soldiers joined up with us. With at least two people able to apply healing magic consistently it was clear that most of any effort the palace guards put in would be wasted. By the end only the knights taken from House Salender stood strong and fierce and refused to surrender.

It was the first time I'd seen such devoted behavior from anyone within House Salender... and as we silenced their voices the other palace guards looked away in guilt.

We line up the prisoners on the center path of the great hall to keep them away from doors and escape routes as we get control of the situation in the palace. Alstair and Gilbert fled earlier, but I've received word that Gilbert has fallen by Augustus' hand. Any important people in the palace are being brought to the great hall as well, but they're still searching for both Alstair and the queen... and other than Gilbert's fall, I haven't gotten any updates on either Lionel or Lily's condition...

Even with all of this I'm putting away one of the most important matters.

The little girl in front of me... her blood stained pale violet dress has the clear insignia of the royal family.

She stands in front of the throne and gazes over the great hall with her violet eyes that sheen with a ghostly mist. Her behavior reminds me of when Lily first changed... and just like back then it makes my skin crawl with caution. It's that feeling of maturity where you don't expect it, and composure when she should be crying or trembling with fear. The way she withholds emotion.

Alstair was also a very composed child, but... never like this.

Furthermore, because of the giant and menacing soldiers Lily ordered to guard the girl, she looks like a toddler. She just barely reaches their thighs.

"Eric."

Wolfram calls as he walks up to me, casting glances to the little girl as well. Though, more than her to the ghosts... especially Lily's. Again, there's no doubt to me that they belong to Lily, because their weapons, armor and even their language is different. Not only that, but their weapons look exactly like Lily's. Though, shorter... yes, they're larger than Lily, but their swords are shorter than Lily's. Then again, she's carrying around a sword longer than herself and always swings it about like it weighs nothing to her.

I digress.

"Wolfram... you knew this would happen?"

I'm not a fool. Wolfram had asked me for permission to talk with Vitis just before Lily and I left. He must've convinced Vitis that Lily would be in danger. That's the only reason I can think of that would make them go against our orders.

Wolfram frowns at my words as he stops in front of me.

"I figured they might try something, but I wasn't sure," he says in a quiet voice. Apparently wanting to keep it between us. He's noticed the princess too.