Chapter 4 (Blake)

That first day at school after the threats surfaced was stressful. I kept having to cover for Lana, she kept spacing out. She wouldn't talk to her friends or respond to her teachers. If they ever asked me any questions about her or what was up, I just told them that she was feeling under the weather and that she was starting to stress about final exams. After all, she apparently wanted to go to college. I kept having to corner her and remind her of our cover story. Keeping my own secrets while watching out for her. Keeping her secrets and keeping her from spilling them.

Good lord, teenage girls can be a pain.

When we get back to the house, Lana immediately goes up to her room, to read a boo. She was still too afraid to get back online.

I walk around the house to check up on the security system one final time. It's working great so at least that eases my worries.

Once I'm done, I tell Margaret and Albert that I had to leave as my boss asked me to give a mission report about the Carolina York case. Maggie and Albert are, of course, aware of this and tell me they'd keep a closer than normal eye on Lana. After briefing them, I quickly change into some more professional clothes than simply my jeans and t-shirt, grab my very typical dark sunglasses and head into my car.

I drive to a totally typical, inconspicuous building. 30 stories tall, grey, mirror-like windows that are actually bulletproof, and a very bright neon sign that claims this building belongs to PW Finance Group.

Once I arrive at HQ I get my ID, fingerprints, and irises scanned. Obviously, this place had a lot of security because of all of the sensitive information that is being kept here. Once my identity is confirmed I go to the 25th floor, the chairman's office.

Mr. Alan Rogerman was the director of Witness Protection. He is a tall, strongly built man who intimidated all who didn't know him as well as I did. To me, he is just a big softie who thought of all his agents as his children. Just looking at him would make you piss yourself if you didn't know the guy. I've personally seen grown men surrender as soon as he walked onto the scene. Honestly, it's kind of funny. For me.

When I enter his office, Alan is arguing with someone on the phone. Based on what I pick up from the conversation, it is probably another government agent, maybe FBI or CIA. He sees me, quietly and calmly tells the person on the other end of the line off, and hangs up.

"Hello Agent Carson, please state your report." Alan says,walking to stand straight in front of me.

"Over the last week, I've been secretly guarding Alana May Criston, formerly Carolina York, among others. I've been posing as her maternal cousin, just for the sake of staying close to her unsuspiciously. I've set up varying types of security around her home, as well as on her. I've also been going to school with her, so that I could be around her all day."

"And how is school going for you?"

"Fine." Why would he be asking this? It had nothing to do with the case and he most certainly wasn't my father, even though he sometimes acted like it.

"Well, considering you finished high school when you were 13 years old, I was just wondering how getting back into that felt. How does it feel to spend time with others your own age? If you don't act normal, it would be really bad if you were caught on your lie."

Of course, he anticipated my thoughts and questions. He didn't get to his current position just because of his looks. Of course, those didn't hurt his chances.

"I'm doing fine. I'm trying to blend in as much as I can. I'm getting to know Alana's friends as well as possible. I'm also avoiding hanging out with who Alana calls the 'popular bitches'. Even though I'm pretty sure one of them has been trying to seduce me the entire time I've been at school. I'm going to consult with Mia to see how I should deal with this situation."