Chapter 24: Done. Gone. Ended. Finished. Through.

Ryder's Point of View 

       “McKenna!” I say loudly.

        “What?” She replies icily.

        “Will you stop being like that?”

McKenna turns her body towards me and cocks her head to the side, looking up at me. “Like what? I’m not even doing anything!”

        “You won’t talk to me.” I retort.

        “I am talking to you!”

I roll my eyes; muttering, “Barely.” Under my breath.

McKenna rolls her eyes, looking away from me. Its 11:30 a.m., it’s been a week since the party and McKenna and I are still arguing over the Molly thing. We’re downstairs in the television room of the house. I shake my head, getting annoyed at this conversation and look at the TV. There’s some Australian Soap Opera on called Home and Away or something like that. I’m not really watching it, but it’s entertaining enough I suppose. For some reason though, when we came down here it was on and we just didn’t bother turning it.

           “What do you think happened?” I ask a few minutes later.

            “It wouldn’t matter what I thought if you’d tell me.”

        “You make it seem as though you don’t trust me. Is that it? Do you not trust me?” I say desperately. I stand up and then kneel in front of McKenna since she refuses to turn and look at me.

She sighs, “No that’s not it. I do trust you.”

           “Well you have a funny way of showing it.”

        “I have a funny way of showing it? You’re the one who won’t tell me what she wanted.” She recoils.

          “Because it was nothing you even need to worry about so why should I tell you?”

          “Because I wanna know!”

McKenna’s phone pings and she pulls it out of her pocket. It must be a text, because her eyes dart across the screen followed by her fingers. Then there’s another ping confirming that the message’s been sent. Then she sits her phone down. No doubt it was that Matt guy texting her. His crush on her is ridiculous. Seriously. I mean who persists so hard on a person when they’re in a relationship? Personally I don’t even like Matt. I think he tries way too hard to get McKenna.

        “See now if I didn’t trust you I’d ask you who it was. But I do trust you and I don’t care who you text.”

         “I just told you that I do trust you.” Mickey replies, rubbing her thin arm.

        “Then tell me why you care so much about what Mollie said.” I demand.

         “Because…” She starts, but falls short.

I raise my eyebrows, “Because?” I say, prodding her on.

        “Because she just seemed like she was up to something or something. I don’t know.”

I sigh, “McKenna, don’t you remember when we first got here and I told you that I wasn’t gonna do anything with either of the girls?” She nods, looking down at the carpet. When she doesn’t verbally reply I say, “And I meant it. I’m not gonna fuck our relationship up. Okay?”