16. Subtle Exchange Of Warmth

Aaron

If I had known that the weather would worsen so much, I won't have left the office. Even the wipers of the car failed to clear the windshield because of the heavy rain.

"I think you should stop the car until the rain stops." Clara suggested.

"Stopping a car in such weather could be dangerous." I whispered, focusing my attention on the road which was becoming less visible with every passing second.

At last, I stopped the car when I realised that it was probably the right thing to do. My eyes diverted to Clara whose wet hair was framing her clueless face in a really cute way. If I didn't know any better, I would have thought she was a sweet, innocent, pure girl who had no idea how the world works.

Bullshit.

Picking up an empty folder, I left the car and shielded my head with that folder. It was a deserted road so there weren't any houses around. My eyes cautiously raked over my surroundings, a small source of light at a the end of the road caught my attention.

I sat inside the car again and revved the engine. I could feel Clara's questioning gaze on me but I ignored her completely and kept my focus on the road. The source of the light moved closer until the car finally stopped in front of it.

It was a small cabin made with wood, small source of light hanging inside it. The door was already unlocked and no one could be seen inside or around the cabin.

Leaving my car once again, I walked towards the passenger seat and opened the door for her. "Come on, we are going to wait here for the rain to stop." I said. Nodding, she stepped out of the car and winced when the heavy rain splashed on her face. I put the folder over her head and walked behind her as she moved forwards, into the cabin.

We rushed inside the dark cabin, brightened only by the small light hanging from the ceiling. Pulling out my mobile from my pocket, I tried to call my driver but the signal was lost. Groaning, I put the mobile on a counter and looked around.

The cabin consisted of just a single room, with a single bed, a wooden cupboard, a stool, a stove and a small bathroom only separated by a thin curtain. Peeking inside the cupboard, I let out a sigh of relief when I found an oversized clean white T-shirt and a pair of pants inside. By the look of it, they didn't look old or used so I pulled them out and chucked the shirt towards Clara who was sitting uncomfortably on the bed.

"As soon as the rain stops, I'll call my driver to bring some clothes. We have to manage in this one pair till then." I said, my eyes unconsciously diverting to her wet shirt clinging to her equally wet torso. She nodded and then took the T-shirt inside the bathroom. I took the chance to strip out of my clothes and slipped into the extra large trouser.

Through the thin cloth of the curtain her silhouette was visible. I tried my best to avert my eyes but they kept fixated on her standing figure that was now getting rid of her clothes. She had a perfectly propertionate body, one of the reasons she hated the past me. Her curves were visible through the curtain, her soft, feminine curves.

I sucked my breath when the curtain suddenly flew away because of a gust of the wind for a second and I caught the sight of her flawless skin as she slid inside the thin cotton shirt. The smooth curve of her back stirred something inside me, something that had died long ago.

Forcing my head away from her, I chucked my wet clothes towards one side and flopped on the bed. After few minutes, she walked out of the so-called bathroom and ambled towards the small window to watch the scene unraveling outside.

The shirt reached the centre of her thighs, leaving the rest of her toned legs on show. I licked my lips to wet the dryness and found myself staring at her shaped behind.

'Think about dog's poop.' I told my mind and when it actually listened to me, I found myself stifling a gag.

After staring outside for quite long, she turned around and tucked the loose strands of hair behind her ear. Her cheeks had a rosy color on them because of the cold and her wet hair added to her beauty, the beauty that caused my heart to shatter into million piece once.

She stepped towards the bed and I scooted away to make some space for her. She seated herself on the space, her pale legs dangling down the edge of bed.

Despite the cold weather, the tension in the air was keeping me warm. But same couldn't be said about Clara because I found her rubbing her arms for warmth. I wish I had something that could provide her any heat.

"Thanks." I heard her say in a low voice.

"For what?" I asked in an unusually dry tone.

"For being here with me." she said and then her face paled when she realised what she just said. "I mean i... if you hadn't picked me up, I.. I would be stuck inside the empty building."

"You are still stuck, just at a different place." I commented and she stayed silent. Her lips looked so red and plump that a sudden urge to kiss her erupted inside my heart but I pushed it back and kept my gaze away from her.

"It doesn't look like the rain would stop before the morning." I whispered after a long pause, observing the clattering of the window.

"Hmm." she said and her voice came out sleepy. I turned to look at her and found her resting her head against the headboard, her eye lashes touching her cheekbones. She was continuously moving her hand up and down her arm, the small shivers in her body easily visible.

"Are you okay?" I asked in a worried voice, much to my dismay.

"Y.. Yeah. J.. J.. Just c.. cold." she replied in a trembling voice without opening her eyes. Something was wrong with her and I couldn't figure out what. It wasn't as cold inside the cabin as her actions showed. After contemplating for a long moment, I touched her forehead and found her burning in fever.

"Clara!" I called her name but this time but she didn't respond.

"Shit." I said and scooted closer to her. At first, I had no idea what to do but then a thought flashed inside my mind. Gently placing my arm on both sides of her waist, I pulled her onto my lap in a way that her face was resting on my bare neck and the heat of my bare chest was engulfing her. She didn't respond or pull away, instead, she muttered something under her breath, her shivering subsided immediately.

Few minutes have passed when soft snores started coming from her mouth. The feel of her skin against mine caused my heart to race involuntarily and my stomach tightened in an invisible knot. No matter how hard I try, I couldn't stop myself from liking that position and our proximity.

___________________________