Chapter 12 - You've Got A Friend In Me

Media: Kellan Lutz as Warrior Lance

**Note: Picture in the media section is for reference (*wink*) to show you exactly how muscular Lance is supposed to be! Also, note that he is 185cm tall while Carlen is only 170cm tall.

        "Oh for Goddess' sake! Put that crazy glint in your eye out! And also please stop smiling to yourself!" Lance exclaims, throwing his right arm into the air and releasing the hand axe he was holding at the target dummy he was aiming at. The axe landed at the intended spot with a deep thud. Spinning around on his heels and turning to face Alaric, he scrunched his face up as he squinted at his crown prince's face. "Did you think I could not see you from the corner of my eye, you disgusting royal crown prince?! Stop it!" The buff warrior rolled his eyes as his crown prince shrugged and looked away from him, a grin clearly still etched on his face.

        Shaking his head exasperatedly, Lance picked up yet another hand axe. He was feeling very energized and probably could throw a dozen more of these axes without breaking a sweat. Perhaps it was because he was basking in the apparent joy of his master. Rolling his blue eyes once more, Lance released the axe towards the target and hit it square in the dummy's chest, knocking the previous axe out of the way. He could still feel the waves of bliss hitting him from where he stood and he couldn't decide if he preferred his mopey and depressed master more, or his currently disgustingly elated one.

        "Seriously man, Alaric, my dearest crown prince. Put that shine from your teeth away where it doesn't distract me!" Lance picked up another axe, "Some of us that come here to the training grounds actually want to do some training." He thought for a moment before muttering under his breath, "While others would rather come here and reminisce about their mates."

        "Oh for goddess' sake, you're being dramatic."

        Lance released the axe in his hand and spun around so quickly on his heels that it startled Alaric briefly. Stalking towards Alaric, Lance glared at his best friend, "Dramatic? I'm being dramatic?" He couldn't resist another chance to roll his eyes, "I know you're happy, overjoyed and you're practically radiating bliss because somehow it worked out between you and dear sweet Carlen. But I really want to remind you that this seems like a really. Bad. Idea." Raising one hand to stop Alaric from speaking, he continued, "I am merely speaking out as your best friend who doesn't give a crap about stupid royal rules and have only your interest at heart." He paused for effect, "What you're doing is inevitably going to make you an asshole." He paused again before grimacing, "And poor Carlen."

        Alaric sighed and nodded, acknowledging what Lance has just said. He knew that he was going to hurt Carlen badly by agreeing to being with him right now. He should have been the bigger man and rejected Carlen so that the pain could be short and quick for him. Instead, Alaric choose the option of prolonging his eventual pain.

        But what else was he supposed to do? Carlen could be very persuasive in his words and actions. Alaric sighed, recollecting the sincerity in Carlen's words that made him feel like it would have been inhumane if he walked away from such an intense conviction. Not to mention, Carlen's existence in itself was enough persuasion to shake his resolutions. Goddess, how could you create such a perfect being?

        Alaric sighed. What he wouldn't give to share another passionate kiss with his mate. It took him so much willpower yesterday to pull away from Carlen's warm and supple-

        Lance started snapping his fingers rudely in Alaric's face, "Hey hey! Stop that! I know where that mind of yours is going right now. Stop it." Lance gestured between the both of them. "Keep on track the topic we're having!" Folding his arms, he dropped his voice slightly, "Do you both have a plan at all? Are you going to tell the royal court of your intentions? Are you still going to marry a queen? Is Carlen even in the right mind to agree to this? Are you even in the right mind for anything?"