Episode 24

"So, have you asked Scarlett to the Fall Ball yet?" David asks Jake while standing at his locker on Tuesday morning.

He looks up from the paper in his hand with confusion. "What's a Fall Ball?"

"The dance. It's this weekend, you know."

"I didn't know."

"How could you not? There are at least five dozen posters plastered all over the walls of the school."

"Guess I'm just not very observant."

"But you're going to ask her, right?"

"Well I guess but do you think she'll really want to go?"

David gives him a look like he's crazy. "Scarlett Westerly? Are you serious? I don't think there's a dance Scarlett hasn't gone too." He shuts his locker and puts a hand on Jake's shoulder. "Dude, you're dating a serious social butterfly."

~~~

Taylor's standing at her locker at the other end of the hall when Chelsea walks up to her and gives her a smile filled with fake sympathy.

"Hey, Tay. How are you doing?"

"I'm okay."

"Well, I thought you might be a little shaken up after what happened yesterday. I mean you just found out you boyfriend slept with a freak freshman year. I think everyone would understand if you were a little upset."

"Well, I'm not upset." She shuts her locker and turns to Chelsea. "And Scarlett isn't a freak, she seems really sweet."

"Those are always the one's you got to watch out for, hun."

Taylor rolls her eyes and begins walking down the hall as Chelsea follows beside her. "So...did you two break up? I mean I'm sure you gave him hell, right?"

"Chelsea, it was 3 years ago. I'm not mad at him for sleeping with her. I was irritated by his smug and inconsiderate attitude."

"So...you broke up with him."

"No." She stops and looks over at her with irritation. "Why are you so interested in me breaking up with Nick?"

She glances over at her and try's to play off her interest. "I'm not."

Taylor scrunches her eyes in doubt and continues walking down the hall.

~~~

Nick stands up to walk out of his physics class and sees Dani on the other side of the room. She throws her bag over her shoulder and notices Nick looking at her and she glares at him before walking out of the classroom.

He smirks and lightly chuckles before swinging his bag over his shoulder and walking towards the door.

Mrs. Smithson looks over the top of her glasses as she sits behind her desk. "Mr. Jerry? Could I see you please?"

Nick walks over to her desk and she grabs a piece of paper off her desk and hands it to him.

Nick looks at the paper for a moment in confusion before talking it and reading over it. "I'm failing?!"

Mrs. Smithson nods and lays her glasses on her desk. "With flying colors, I might add."

He continues looking at her with a shocked and frustrated expression.

"You know the rules, Mr. Jerry; if you're failing a class, you can't be on any sport teams at the school."

"What?! No, no, no." He lays the paper on her desk and looks at her seriously. "You can't have me kicked off the football team, Mrs. Smithson. Please. I'll do anything...extra credit, tutoring...whatever. Just please don't kick me off the team."

"Well...I do have some extra credit that you could do."

He smiles in relief. "Great, it's done."

"Hold up there, Mr. Jerry. I'm not just going to give it to you and allow you the opportunity to get somebody else to do it for you. I'm going to assign you a specific tutor who will monitor what extra credit you do and help you through every step."

He groans and tosses his head back with aggravation. "Great, a geek with a control problem who's going to be following me around every day for the next semester."

"Mr. Jerry, I assure you there will not be a geek following you around." She looks down at her desk and puts her glasses back on. "Just a student with an average higher than a forty five."

He rolls his eyes at her cut and expects the worst. "Great. So, who's the nerd?"

Mrs. Smithson writes a name and number on a sticky note and hands it to Nick.

His eyes widen in shock. "Demoted Danielle?!" He shakes his head and looks back at his teacher. "No, no way! She's a total bitch and seriously demented!"

"Mr. Jerry! Danielle is the best student in my class and from what I've seen of her, a very sweet person. You know, Nicholas, maybe it's your attitude that sets her off." She leans forwards and looks at him seriously. "I've seen the way you treat people and let me tell you right now, it's something that could use a serious adjustment." She leans back and slips her reading glasses back on. "Just think about it. Either call Ms. Landon or I'm going to have to inform the coach of your recent progress report."

He shakes his head and angrily exits the classroom.

~~~

Scarlett's walking down the hall with her head down, trying to block out the sounds of all the harsh comments and rude remarks when Mia walks up to her and interlocks her arm with Scarlett's, glaring at the people who are starring and whispering. She smirks when they begin to turn and continue with their business. "Hey, Gorgeous."

She smiles over at Mia in relief. "Hey, Beautiful."

"How are you holding up, slut?" She smirks, jokingly and looks over at her.

"Hahaha." She glares at Mia teasingly and looks straight ahead.

"So, has Jake asked you to the Fall Ball yet?"

"No." She looks over her with excitement in her eyes. "Why, did Logan ask you?!"

She gives Scarlett a surprised and clueless expression. "No. Why would Logan invite me? It's not like we're officially dating."

She rolls her eyes and gives Mia a suspicious look.

"Besides, I seriously doubt Logan is the type of person that goes to Fall Ball's." She looks over at Scarlett with a small smile.

"Then I guess you really are a perfect match."

Mia smiles and purposefully bumps into her side.

"Seriously, you should hint around about it." Scarlett's face turns to very obvious excitement and she clutches onto Mia's arm. "That way we can double! You and Logan, me and Jake. It would be so fun!"

She chuckles and shakes her head at Scarlett's child-like excitement and continues walking down the hall beside her.