II

"Child, we don't think you understand the gravity of the situation

"Child, we don't think you understand the gravity of the situation."

I resisted the urge to roll my eyes at the idiots that sat in front of me through the brume. Their holographic selves were just as bad as having them in person.

Rasmus Ventridge, king of Fortis Crystallum sat to my left. His chest puffed up as if trying to assert dominance. It only made him look more of an idiot.

Davian Solaxe, king of Solennes Jubar was on my right in his tailored suit with bright red embellishments. I wondered how he managed to have such attire with his lack of coin.

On his other side, Oskar Bronteflare, king of Validus Fulgur sat straight, wearing his usual scowl.

They were all so pretentious.

I sat at the far end of the table, in the same spot where Philip read me the declaration of war written by these same individuals.

"I am not a child."

I remained serious, but I could tell they masked their snickers with fake coughs and neck scratches. It was quite a relief they weren't there in person, I would've sent something to fall on each of their big heads.

To them, I was still the child that barged into reunions holding a paper airplane pretending it was real. The one who had no idea what went on beyond the palace and played with her toys until dusk.

That was over a decade ago. I was a grown woman in my early years, who knew that the stakes were high, people would die, and the kingdom was in danger. I understood that, but they didn't seem to comprehend that I wasn't going to back down without a fight.

"Antonella," King Rasmus started.

"Queen," I interrupted, "Queen Antonella."

Amongst the snickers, King Rasmus started over, using the proper addressor. He spat it out towards me, his words dripping in sarcasm. The other kings hid behind their hands and arms in a failed attempt of covering their amusement.

Gracious, I wanted to show them what was really inside of me.

"...I mean no offense, but you do not have what it takes to rule Potentia Flamber. This is a man's position. A queen should not be involved with such trivial matters."

I leaned forward, forgetting about all the classes I took about lady-like body language. The corset around me prevented me from fully curving my back, but I got close enough to prop my arms on top of the sleek wooden table.

"And yet here I am." I mustered the sweetest smile and leaned back. "Whether you like me or not, I am still the one ruler of Potentia Flamber, and due to your declaration of war—

"It was not a declaration, you had a choi—

"Potentia Flamber will not be having a king until further notice. The royal wedding is cancelled."