IV

Once I heard Mahli's raeda start its voyage out of the palace during the evening, I set my plan in motion

Once I heard Mahli's raeda start its voyage out of the palace during the evening, I set my plan in motion. I ran around my childhood bedroom searching for my journal, gifted to me by the late Theodora, my brown bag to carry the necessary items I stole from inventory, and some of my old undergarments for my trip.

I rolled my undergarments into the smallest they could be and stuffed them in the front pocket, occupying little to no space. The rest of my stuff: my journal, my canteen filled with water, and two canisters supplied with canned foods that wouldn't go stale were stuffed into my bag.

I sat down at my desk, where I used to spend hours upon hours studying spell books, and found a piece of paper and my favorite pen. I transcribed my letter to Philip, telling him not to look for me and to make excuses to my royal servants as to where I was. I had to get the intel needed to defeat the enemy. There was no other way.

After leaving my letter on top of my bed, I went into my closet hoping to find something suitable for my upcoming adventure. However, most of my clothes were royal dresses, frivolous and dazzling pieces. I had to be invisible, and a sparkling dress would not do that.

Realizing that my best bet was using magic, I undressed and started my commoner transformation. I flicked my wrist, willing unkempt clothes to cover my body. In a flash, I had a pair of pants cinched at my waist with a thin brown strap and a loose creme shirt that stopped right below my chest. There were rips and tiny holes across every piece of clothing, which added to the raggedness. Black boots covered my feet in the most hideous fashion, I couldn't even see the shape of my feet.

The change was drastic compared to what I was normally used to, but I knew it would help me be overlooked.

I sat back down on my bed and brought my elegant hand mirror with me. The way to perfectly execute the masking spell was through a reflective surface. I stared at my face and focused on what I had to do.

With a wave of my index finger, I saw the shift from brown to amber in my eyes. My curly black hair turned into a golden brown that shone with the light of my lamps and candles. My skin continued to stay its golden tan, always in the medium part of the spectrum, but there was the smallest wash of freckles that spread over my nose and top of my cheeks.

My appearance was that of the typical woman of Potentia Flamber. I would definitely be ignored by everyone.

With a sigh, I looked down at my hand mirror, and my heart dropped. If my spell undid itself and I didn't have a reflective surface, I'd be screwed. But I couldn't take my hand mirror; anyone could tell it was a royal possession from a mile away.

I looked over at my single wall mirror. Framed in gold and precious gems, it was one of the items that truly reminded me of my royal status.

My ragged reflection stared back at me as a small smirk started covering my features. I just needed something reflective.