S I X

Midnight had managed to fluster and overwhelm Sumire. She hid from Shota the entire day, knowing that after the handcuffs, she likely wouldn't be able to look him in the eye.

After her duties as U.A.'s advisor were done for the day, she immediately went to her apartment and got ready for bed. She didn't want anyone to catch her off guard that day. Midnight was probably laughing to herself about her influence on Sumire's sanity... or getting turned on by her ridiculous and unlikely fantasies.

After hours of battling with her own unnecessary anxiety, the silver-haired woman finally crawled under her covers and fell asleep.

Early into the morning hours, Sumire felt herself being drawn from the dream world. She groaned, feeling herself begin to wake up, though knowing it was the middle of the night. As she grew more conscious, she couldn't shake the feeling of eyes on her, watching her, and staring beneath her skin. She was covered in blankets, but chills ran across her body.

She released another long, tired moan and pried her eyes open slightly.

Her charcoal eyes flew open as she placed a hand over her mouth to keep herself from screaming. She pulled her knees to her chest and pressed her back against the wall. Her veins filled with terror.

Looming over her was a massive black mass, like a translucent, freezing flame; the ominous black tendrils reaching for her pale skin. Glowing red eyes glared right at her, slicing through her soul and latching onto her heart, feeling like it was going to be pulled straight out of her chest.

She couldn't breathe.

Echo was in the corner of the room, hissing and growling at this entity. Her black fur stood on end as she arched her back threateningly, though she dared not take a single step closer to it.

The girl disappeared, but the darkness was still staring straight at her.

Horrified, she sunk through the wall and remained invisible in the next room, crawling backwards helplessly as the black mass followed her, threatening to consume her with every second that passed.

It started making a horrible noise; a low, guttural growl mixed with a whistle-like screeching, matched with the tone of a harsh and angry whispering. She wasn't able to make out what it was saying, but the sound echoed in her ears like it was coming from her own head.

The blackness grew taller, standing at about twice her height, clearly far more intimidating than anything she'd ever experienced before.

Sumire's back bumped into something with so much force that it knocked the breath out of her. She became visible again, and grabbed onto what she had bumped into, desperately clinging on for any source of safety in the face of this thing.

"What the hell are you doing?" The familiar tired voice grumbled threateningly.

She dared to look up as she realized she grasped onto the fabric of Shota's pants. As soon as he saw the fear in her wide, dark eyes, he furrowed his brows in the slight concern he was able to express.

She heard the noise again, and her focus snapped back to the darkness, which was moving around, consuming and entangling itself within its mysterious, gaseous form.

"You don't... see that?" She breathed for what felt like the first time in hours, but it was short, and she wasn't able to catch it again.

"The hell?" He narrowed his bloodshot eyes in confusion, potentially questioning the woman's sanity.

She couldn't bring herself to her feet as the dark and ominous mass inched closer, it's flame-like extensions lapping out and reaching for her as she pressed herself closer to him.