TWENTY ONE: TOLD YOU SO

Chapter twenty one: told you so
"close your eyes."

•

The mall had been set on fire following the event of what happened inside of it and the group had been sitting in the back of ambulances for about half an hour after, being questioned and checked over.

Of course everything they answered they were lying about, Dr Sam Owens had told them how to answer the questions so people weren't suspicious.

Max was sat with her mother in the back of an ambulance as Eve watched the girl from afar - the girl was devastated at the death of her brother, who she had finally got on good terms with.

Steve came down and sat next to the girl after being cleared, and Eve didn't make eye contact with him as she stared at the girl she loved crying.

"Eve? Are you okay?" Steve asked her as she held the emergency blanket around herself tighter. Eve didn't reply straight away, not wanting to talk, she was still in shock from everything, "Eve?"

"I told you so..." Eve whispered, looking down at her lap as tears clouded her eyes. Steve's fave softened as he pulled his sister in for a hug.

"Billy isn't your fault," Steve cooed, "you saved El, you saved all of us, okay? Don't be hung up on him."

"He just wanted to be happy," Eve cried to Steve, "his mom left him, and she was his source of happiness, and now he's gone too-"

"Don't get worked up about this," Steve told her, holding her tighter, "You can't do anything now to save him. But you can comfort the girl you love."

Eve nodded and got out of Steve's hold, standing up straight even though it made her limbs ache in protest. She stepped forward before she saw Eleven come into view, staring at Joyce with tears flowing from her eyes. Eve's eyebrows furrowed before her face paled in realisation.

Not only was Billy dead, Hopper was gone too.

Eve walked up to eleven, putting her hand on the girl's shoulder before pulling her in for a hug, Eleven sobbing onto Eve's shoulder at the thought of her father dead. Gone. Never to return.

Eve just held her close as she cried too, Hopper was a special man, a loving man when he chose to be, a man taken too soon.

She felt another set of arms wrap around her, only to see Max joining the hug. That made her heart shatter just that little more as she put her head on her girlfriends shoulder, the three still hugging.

The three cried together, their shared trauma bringing them closer, as they hoped for a better tomorrow.