26

A slow, gradual beeping itched at Rosanna's ears. It was almost painful as it cut through the silence of a cool, overcast morning. A handful of groans escaped a mound of white duvet, slowly shifting as she reached her arm out and over to the blaring alarm clock that sat upon a glossy bedside table. At the tap of a finger, the beeping silenced and an exhale of relief replaced it. The duvet moved again as Rosanna turned back around and made herself comfortable.

An arm slithered around her waist and pulled her close to something warm as she repositioned herself. Rosanna inhaled a comforted breath and wrapped an arm of her own around Alex's neck. He rested his head softly on hers as she nuzzled into the crook of his neck.

Rosanna breathed in his soft, comforting scent and felt him soothingly rub a hand up and down her side. She slowly pried her eyes open and looked up at him. His eyes were barely open, she could've mistaken that they were closed if she weren't looking so closely. A small smile crept onto his lips as he caught sight of her looking up at him.

"Morning, love," he said in a low, hoarse voice. He turned his head down to look at her fully.

"Morning," Rosanna responded, tiredly. She shifted on her side in her position beside him and ran her fingers through his hair.

Alex hummed at the feeling of her fingers running over his scalp and stroking his dark, ungelled quiff. They'd fallen asleep side by side after lying together and watching videos on Rosanna's phone of passed times and humorous online videos.

  "What time is it?" He asked, unable to take his eyes off her. They'd slept side by side countless times before but this time was different. This time they were wrapped in each other's arms not just for comfort but because they wanted to be close to each other, holding the one they loved as they fell asleep.

  Rosanna shrugged and blinked tiredly, "summat around seven-thirty."

  Alex groaned and buried his face into the pillow, trying to fall back asleep. Rosanna chuckled and managed to prop her upper body up a little so she could look over him.

  "Too early for ya is it?" She teased and poked his cheek.

  She received a murmur as a response. Rolling her eyes she poked his cheek again. "C'mon, wake up you lazy arse."

  Alex managed a tired chuckle and moved his head to look at her. "Why the fuck d'ya have to be a morning person?" He groaned. He tightened his arms around her yet again and pulled her down to his chest. "Five more minutes."

  "Fine," she said, not really minding the idea of laying with him for longer. Their legs intertwined and their arms holding one another.

Alex began wondering to himself how they got here. Yesterday they were just friends with hidden feelings and years ago they were just a pair of goofy best friends. Now they were lying in each other's arms, post-confession of their love to the other. Never in a million years did he think he would be where he was. He thought she would be the last woman in the world he'd be able to get his hands on. They hadn't lost anything in the process either. They were still the best friends they were before, now just with a little more.

He lifted a hand and ran his fingers through her dark brown hair, brushing it out of her face and tilting his head to look down to her. Rosanna caught his gaze and a playful smile crept onto her lips.

  "What?" She asked.

  Alex just smiled softly and shook his head, "nothing. I'll sound cheesy."

  "Tell me," she smiled.

  "I'm just taking in your beauty," Alex said honestly, studying her features up close.