Sneak Peek

This is the (un)official prologue for the new, remastered, edited, and going to be published, Verdant Prince. I don't know if the title 'Verdant Prince' will stay or not, but I will let you know! Just a reminder- the published version of this book is NOT fanfiction, it won't have anything to do with Marvel so a lot of the characters, personalities, settings, stories, etc. will change. Most of this is based on actual Norse Mythology while some of it is also just me creating my own version of it. I sometimes may even throw out a part of Norse Mythology that I don't think fits well with my story. Sometimes I will twist the tale. It's my story so, yes, things may be different. No, it doesn't have to be perfect to the actual mythology. Do you know how confusing that blasphemy can be?? Anyhoo, I promised a sneak peek to what I was working on to be released on my 16th birthday. And here it is, enjoy. 

~*~

Prologue 

Asgard was the home of the gods and goddesses of the ancient Norse Tales whispered among young Scandinavian children in the night. It was a magnificent place with towering golden buildings and quartz homes in the noble districts. The wealthy wore lavish robes with silver and gold embroidery and the lesser wore simple tunics of earthy tones bearing their families symbols proudly.

It was a stunning place for any person to see if they ever even got the chance to. Asgard was surrounded by high walls with thick stone pillars, encasing its glory from the rest of the realms. It was a heavily fortified realm and kingdom practically built for war. You wouldn't really guess it was built for war with all of its opulent details and elaborate buildings. It was what mortals would call a paradise as the great waters shimmered like liquid gold in the blazing sun before disappearing over the edge of Asgard's rigid surface. Everything seemed to be golden and perfect in Asgard.

But in all of Asgard's glories, hidden beneath the mighty stories and glorious legends, were the people. The people, better known as the Lesser were residents of Asgard that held no deity or divine title like the gods and goddesses that resided in the Great Hall. Only those who had proven their worth to the Allfather, King Odin, were granted a title.

Odin was the king of all gods and goddess, the most powerful and dangerous of them all. He was the god of death, of war, and much more. Odin thrived in war, it was his nature to be brutal and cruel in the way he ruled and war was simply a pass time to him. Within his company were many more gods and goddess including his wife, Queen Frigg, a handful of his sons, Thor and Baldur being his favorites, as they too were warlike in their ways. Odin had a variety of nobles in his court, including Jotuns such as Loki, and other godly beings from the other nine realms.

Getting into King Odin's company was very difficult though. There were only a few ways to enter his royal court, and it was even harder to keep the position. One way was to be born into a high position such as Odin's sons but even then they had to prove their worth time after time. Odin would see no conflict in slaughtering or banishing his own children if they were a disappointment to him. He was ruthless. But nonetheless, Odin kept the realm of Asgard safe. No other realms dared attack him head-on in fear for their entire existence being slashed to bits.

Another way to enter into Odin's company was to claw your way up the ranks through battling, war, and pure aggression. Every hundred years or so, the Trials are held for the youth of Asgard to prove their worth in various battles and situations. If the youth exceeds expectations, a trusted royal court member might vouch for the child. In turn, the youth would be inducted into Odin's elite force. The members trained each day of their lives in harsh rules and unforgiving conditions until they come of age and skill. By then, Odin would have a lethal group of warriors at his fingertips, all itching to kill and prove their worth to their King. The combination proved to strike absolute terror in any opposer's hearts.

The elite force has many names and several categories, coined as Valkyries, Barbarians, Berserkers, and more. The most powerful of warriors who were killed in battle were sent to Valhalla to await Odin's arrival and the ultimate battle; Ragnarok.

But alas, this is all I knew about the system and society set up by the Allfather in Asgard. As a naive child, I wished to follow every rule to the last letter. I was whipping a wooden stick around in the grass by the time I was knee-high. I buried myself in whatever books I could get my grubby hands on pertaining to Asgard, its history, and its battles. I was determined to blossom into the warriors I so dearly admired.

My mother, Solveig, was one of the soldiers who served under Odin. She was fierce, powerful, and a part of one of the first battle squadrons composed solely of women. A legend among the Lesser, she died in the most honorable way. By creating a human shield with her battle maidens, it allowed civilians to flee the village they were protecting. I hadn't known her well or long, but I strived to be just like her, even in death. It was a sickly sweet thought.

There was one thing that naive, innocent child did not find in her books or pretend to be in her training. One, simple thing the child I once was wish I knew. Warriors do not blossom, they are chiseled from the never-ending rivers of blood and despair created around them. They are hardened into cold, stoic individuals. Like wolves in a sea of sheep, they thrive in fear.