Chapter Twenty-Six- The Draft

I rub my hands together nervously as I walk down the stairs again. I can hear my brother complaining as his life depends on it a bit further below me.

My nerves have not calmed down since I've started moving into my new apartment. They wanted me to start as soon as I could, so we had only 2 days to move. They've set me up with a roommate from another dance company who seems nice.

Right now, my new roommate, Zack, and my parents are all trying to move my things into my 4th-floor apartment. I know that I should feel exhausted but all I feel is my nerves. My parents were thankfully able to offer to pay my first month's rent and the dance company covered my deposit.

All the information that has flooded my head in the past 2 days has been insane.

My brother has been trying to get out of helping me move in since I announced to my family that I accepted the contract. His graduation is tomorrow afternoon and it was obvious that he wanted to stay home and party with his friends instead of helping me move in. Since I told them the news he has had to stay home and help me pack, or shop for the things that I'll need.

These stairs seem to be the last straw for Zack as we all go down for the final trip of my things.

"Mom this is ridiculous... my graduation is tomorrow and I'm hours away in New York City instead of being home getting ready!"

"Zachary, you need to stop complaining. Your sister has a huge opportunity and is moving away from home." My mom almost yells back, "I will have NO more of your attitude or you will not be leaving the house when we get home before OR after your ceremony."

I can hear Zach stomping down the stairs a little louder, but he doesn't answer. Smart choice if he wants to see his friends at all.

Rounding the corner to the ground floor I see my mom and my roommate handing the last boxes to my dad and Zach. My dad pushes Zach back to the stairs as he makes a grunting noise to show he's still mad. I walk up to my mom and my roommate, Maxine.

"Thank you so much, Maxine, for helping us, you really didn't need to." My mom smiles at her, and I can tell she already likes her.

"It was no problem and please call me Max." She smiles back, "I remember having to unpack my things and it would have been nice to have help on those stairs."

We all start to chat about where Max works, which is a dance company that is partnered with mine. She seems nice and I'm hopeful that we will get along well. That doesn't seem to help my nerves for some reason though.

Finally, the boys come back down the stairs, Zack with small beads of sweat on his head. My dad with a big smile on his face, but his eyes show a bit of worry. He had fought hard to get a personal day this last minute to help me move in and I was so happy that he was here.

Before I know it we are saying our goodbyes and they are pulling away down the road. And I'm left alone with Max.

I turn to her nervous, and she starts, "I remember the feeling of being here alone for the first time. It's a feeling you'll never feel again." She smiles, "Wanna start unpacking."

Nodding in response, "When did you first get here?" We start back up the stairs for the millionth time.

"Damn that was a long time ago..." She pauses, "I first came to the city when I was in high school, I went to a dance boarding academy."

My eyes go large, "Really? I would have loved that!"

"The grass is always greener on the other side..." She turns giving me a small smile, "It almost made me quit dance, the amount of stress I was under, but I don't think I would be the dancer I am without it."