Silent

Eddie hated his life. Really hated it. He had been moving around the country since before he could talk, been told he couldn't say anything once he learned. It was all a risk. Everything was a risk.

It wasn't his fault, of course. No one chooses the life they're born into. Their skin, their eyes, their shape, their family. None of it's a choice. It's all fate. Or something of that matter.

Nevertheless, Eddie still hated his life. It's all he ever thought about. How much he wished he could run and escape, to not be contained in a home by his insane mother who claimed she was trying to protect him. That's among the thoughts that crossed his mind as they drove in the dead of the night toward a town Eddie had never heard of.

The moon shone above them, full and illuminating a sign as they drove down a road that turned from normal to gravel as they passed the sign.

Welcome to Derry

"I don't understand why we had to move," Eddie grumbled under his breath, arms crossed over his chest. He knew his mother would hear it, but he didn't give a shit.

"No talking," his mother snapped, eyes meeting Eddie's, showing nothing but the promise of a beating when they reached their destination.

Eddie shut his mouth, but kept his arms crossed anyway.

They drove down the road, the gravel crunching underneath the car as Eddie's mother slowed the speed of her car to avoid kicking up dust. They stayed in silence, then only sound being the humming of the tired vehicle.

Eddie knew it'd be easier for both him and his mother if he just fell asleep. Then he'd be able to escape a beating and she wouldn't have to put up with his attitude. Yet, he stayed awake. If she was going to beat him Eddie was going to take full advantage, giving him an even better reason to hate his mother. That way, maybe he'd be able to escape and feel nothing when he finally left her smothering behind.

When the car was finally put in park, his mother got out first, grabbing a duffel bag and her purse. Eddie followed irritably, his own tattered backpack slung over his shoulders.

The house in front of them was definitely one they'd be staying in for a while. It was an enormous mansion, hidden in the depths of the forest about a mile away from the heart of Derry. That would please Eddie's mother, Sonia, who couldn't stand to let her precious son anywhere near other people.

They would have no visitors, no friends, no interaction with anyone. At least, Eddie wouldn't. Sonia would go into town to make sure she had an account set up for Eddie to be given pills for his made up allergies that only existed to make sure Sonia had another reason to keep him inside.

Once they had made it inside, Sonia went to the master bedroom on the first floor, instructing Eddie to take his stuff to one of the rooms upstairs. He obeyed, stomping up the stairs to make it known how pissed off he was without talking.

"Eddiebear, come down stairs, sweetie!" Sonia called after Eddie had claimed a room.

Eddie didn't dare grumble under his breath. For being a woman that didn't catch onto much, Sonia had the most sensitive ears in the world and would know if Eddie said anything. He knew that her nicknames and sweet words were just a coverup for what she was about to do to her son.

Eddie nearly scoffed, just barely keeping it to himself when he made his way down the stairs and saw his mother clutching a leather belt in her chubby fist.

"What have I told you about talking, sweetie?" she asked, walking closer to Eddie.

"To not speak unless spoken to," Eddie mumbled, keeping his answer short. He knew if he didn't keep it short that his punishment would get worse.

"That's right, baby. So why did you think it was appropriate to speak out of turn?"

Her sickly sweet tone made Eddie want to vomit, but he didn't show any emotion. "I was mad."

"Why is that?"

"I don't like long car rides and I was annoyed," he responded, though they both knew the real reason. It had a lot to do with Eddie's hatred of not being allowed to meet people, to be normal, but he had to keep that hidden.

Sonia just clicked her tongue and shook her head with disappointment. Then, without warning, she slapped the belt across Eddie's face.

He crumpled to the ground, grabbing his face, both of his eyes closed in pain.

"Stand up," Sonia said in a dangerously calm tone. "You know I hate hurting you, baby."

Eddie felt tears burning behind his closed eyelids but he refused to let tears fall. He knew to anyone he'd look weak and helpless, but he didn't want his mother to see him in that light. So, on trembling legs, he stood up and opened his good eyes just to see and feel the belt hit his side.

The beating continued slowly, as every time he fell Sonia would wait for him to stand up again. As soon as his skin was covered in welts and obviously burning, Sonia sent him up to his room.

It was only then, once Eddie had closed his door and locked it, that he allowed quiet sobs to escape his mouth. He kept his crying to a minimum, knowing if it was too loud that Sonia would come back, kick his door down, and next time use some weapon to break the skin and leave him a bloodied mess on the floor.

It was life for Eddie, and he knew that he couldn't escape it. It was the life of silence he was born into, the one that he had lived for sixteen years and would continue to live until he found the willpower to finally escape.

In the darkness of his room, when he finally heard his mother's snored echoing through the mansion, Eddie let himself speak, just so he could remind his bruised body that he had the power to.

It was then, and only then, that he'd whisper the same words he had been ever since he could talk and knew he had to stay silent.

"Please, someone, find me."

————————————————————————

Hey everyone!!! I know it's really dry right now, but it gets better :)