: ten :

W A R N I N G
description of an anxiety attack between the lines

Loud detonations, glass breaking and hush voices forced y/n to suddenly open her eyes, jump out of bed and run to the door swinging it open to hurry down the hallway toward the stairs, her bare feet padding down the carpeted steps until she blinked, clearing her vision that was fogged out by sleep a second ago to realise her surroundings. Heart pounding, rapidly climbing its way up her throat creating a choking lump causing her to gasp desperately for air, her knees bent forward, legs giving out. Her hold on the bannister kept her from tumbling down the remaining steps but not from falling on her bum right on the edge of the step sliding down onto the next.

─────────────────────

It seemed as if the air surrounding her was thicker than the bunched up panic obstructing her throat, the strangled whine that she managed to push out echoed throughout the dark and dead silent house, her hand gripping the bannister slid down one of the smooth bars as she twisted her body to begin to get back up but she could barely move her legs, goosebumps raised all over her skin from the freezing cold shivers that raked her body, curling up into a ball making herself small, her free hand was in a tight fist resting on the second step up from where she sat as she tried to get some more oxygen inside her burning lungs. Y/n leaned her sweaty forehead on her forearm propped on the step, closing her eyes doing her best to concentrate in taking slow and steady breaths. A sob escaped her lips followed by a hiccup, tears pooled inside her shut lids as she gritted her teeth, fighting them but failing.

Warm liquid dampened her lashes as it ran free past her closed lids, falling directly on the carpet not even gracing her skin on their way down. She let out a shaky puff of air through her chapped lips as she tried her best to calm down, teeth chattering from the trembles of her jaw, her heartbeat was still nauseating, harsh thumping inside her chest that triggered some churning in her stomach along with strident hammering inside her skull. Tessa's snout nudged her head a few times, low whining let y/n know the dog was worried, she tried to move but she was frozen in place.

Tessa kept whining, looking for a little nook where she could poke her head in, she desperately rounded the girl coming up her left side where y/n's hand gripped one of the bannister bars and pushed her whole body through the tiny space, her head lifting y/n's head from her arm to rest on top of the puppy's own head and settled there, the girl's left hand let go of the bar and laid on the dog's back, soft short fur gracing her clammy palm. Y/n tried to match her breathing with Tessa's steady intakes, she wasn't aware of how long had it taken for her heart to stop jumping out of her chest and her breathing to regulate but when she dared to open her eyes there was faint light starting to illuminate the interior of the house.

─────────────────────

She sniffled a few more times trying to get rid of her stuffy nose as she lifted her head from Tessa's, praising her in whispers and giving her gentle pets, a "thank you for helping me" sort of affection. Slowly, y/n began to incorporate, her muscles aching as they stretched out into a less uncomfortable position, wincing at the pins and needles shooting down her legs all the way to the tip of her toes as she moved her feet to hop on the next step up, hands firmly grasping the bannister for balance, not fully trusting her weak and wobbly legs just yet.

Making it to the top was the longest way she's ever walked in that state. Even though she could breathe now, the numbness was one she's never felt before. The necessity to have Tom beside her was overwhelming, but she knew he wasn't here and that made her heart start pounding all over again, she knew a simple call would do nothing to comfort her so she passed her room then Harrison's, her eyes scanning the closed door aimlessly. What if...? Would he...? No. He wouldn't. She squeezed her eyes shut for a few seconds and kept walking until she reached Tom's room.