Chapter 12: You And Me

We made it to the top of the steps and opened the door. There was snow up there today, and there was still some flakes sprinkling down as we came up. "So, what did you want to talk about?" Draco asked me. "Well, Dumbledore told me there was something Voldemort is wanting you to do. He said he couldn't tell me what it was, but I wanted to hear all of this from you." Draco looked at me with worry. "He's right. That's why I told you we shouldn't be friends." 

"But, what do you have to do? I can help you.. you don't have to listen to him." "Potter.. it's not that simple. I told you before, if I tell you.. I, or you.. could die. I just don't know what to do anymore. I have to go through with it.. even if I really don't want to lose you." I grabbed both of his hands in mine, stepped closer to him, and said, "I'm with you, okay? Just please tell me what you have to do." Draco took a deep breath and replied, "Dumbledore.. I have to.. kill him. That's why Snape has been looking over me. If I don't do it myself, he has to instead." 

I stepped away from him. "You can't kill him, let me help you.. there has to be another way." Dumbledore knew this? I thought in my head. What was I supposed to do? But I asked Draco another question. But this time, the question blurted out of me. I really wish it didn't. "Do you really care about.. you know, me? Like has all of this been a cover up story so you could report back to Voldemort or something?" Draco looked broken as I said this. He let go of my hands and said, "Even for you, Potter.. I never thought you would say something like that. I really thought you were different.. but you're just like everyone else. You see me and think of evil, don't you?" 

"Draco, that's not what I meant.. I just.." He tore his hands away from mine and started to turn around before saying, "I really liked you, Harry.. and I thought you felt the same." He then turned around fully and started to reach for the door. I rushed after him and pulled his arm back towards me. "Draco, stop!" Now he was right in front of me.. our noses were almost touching. It was like we were about to kiss. I felt him breathing on me, a tear rushed down his face. I used my hand to wipe it off and kept my hand on his cheek, moving my thumb back and forth slowly to calm him. That's what I always did to make him feel better, like he did for me too.

"I don't think you're evil. Dumbledore mentioned something and I got all freaked out. Please don't think that, you know how I feel about you. It's you and me.. it's always just going to be you and me. I'm not letting anyone ever come between us.. okay?" He took his hand and put it on mine which was cupping his face, lowered it and let go. "I'm sorry, Potter. But still.. it's not safe. "Draco, please.. let me help you." "You can't! Can't you see? I'm in.." But he didn't finish his sentence and just looked into my eyes. "You mean so much to me, Harry James Potter. Just remember that." Now I felt a tear fall down my face. I felt hopeless.. heartbroken even. 

Without thinking, I just started to talk again. "You know, there was a time when I knew a boy.. I never liked him, but that was until I really got to know him. He turned into one of the best friends I could ever ask for. But he had to do something, and he cared for me so he wanted to go through with it on his own. But I refused to let him. You know, why?" Draco looked like he was going to cry even more. "I love you, Malfoy. Can't you tell? I can't let you do this on your own, that's not what friends do. You have a real one now.. it's time you got used to it." 

Draco kept looking at me, and tears began to stream down his face. He slowly walked over to me and I grabbed his hands, pulling him into my chest. "I'm not letting them get to you. Please promise me, that you'll never leave.. you'll never try and get rid of me again." "I promise.. I could never leave you forever," he actually added a small laugh to what he said. I laughed back before we let go of one another and looked into each other's eyes. "And.. I love you too, Potter." We smiled at each other as I held his cheeks in my hand again. He loved me, I thought. And I loved him. But even when he was crying, there was something special about him. This was when I really realized what was happening. I think I was falling for Draco Lucius Malfoy.

Draco's POV: I wasn't sure what to do anymore. I knew there was still time to figure things out, but there was no way I was leaving him. He's the only person in my life who actually cares about me.. loves me. And I love him back. Looking in his eyes, I could see the truth. He was real.. he was standing there in front of me.. and I didn't want anything else but this moment. Then I thought to myself.. why have I never seen it before? We needed each other, and that was clear now. But there was something else.. I think I was falling for Harry James Potter.