four - will the wise

Imogen felt hollow after telling Steve everything, she did not end up driving home having left her car at the school lot since Steve wouldn't allow her to even step into her car in her state

He drove her home and the entire car ride was silent—not a suffocating one, but a calm but sort of anxious one. He pulled up her driveway, and she stayed inside for a moment.

"I need time—Steve, both of us do" She looked at him placing her hand on his," Let's just focus on—everything at the moment, and we'll see where we go from there"

"How long?" Steve whispered holding her hand

"Only time will tell" She responded softly gently removing her hand from his. She looked at him for a moment leaning forward placing a kiss on his cheek leaning her forehead on his own," We'll know"

He let out a breath as she got out of his car, watching her walk into her house. Once the front door closed his eyes lingered on the wooden door for a moment.

Everything was slowly hitting him—he knew about the pregnancy but he had no idea that she lost the baby.

He assumed she had terminated it, but he was foolish to even think that Imogen had a single bone in her body to do that. All of the pent-up emotions he had just spilt out as he felt his eyes water and fall down his cheeks.

All Steve could think of is maybe Nancy was right, and he was bullshit

━━━━◦━━━━◦━━━━◦━━━━

Imogen was not up for school the next day, feeling emotionally drained and just wanted to be around her brother and Mom, though she knew she couldn't ask them just to clear their day for her. And she was not going to resort to cuddling Mews who would only just hiss and scratch her.

She heard a soft knocking on her room door, making her mumble 'Come in' and the moment it opened, she smiled seeing it was Dustin.

"Hey, Sis, Mom said you were staying in today?" She nodded waving her hand for him to come inside.

He walked into her room sitting on her bed noticing that she looked pale—and his chest hurt seeing the sight. He knew not to just go forward and ask her what happened, so he settled to just holding her hand.

"Duffin?"

"Yeah?" He looked at her

"Whenever you have a secret that is too much for you to handle. I want you to tell me, or someone and not hold it all in"

Dustin's eyes widened at her words, making him gulp, though Imogen didn't notice it since she was looking at their clasped hands," What brought this all out?" He asked cautiously

She sat up looking at him trying to put on a strong front," It's complicated, and I don't even know where to start—but this is not about me right now. It's just a little older sibling advice"