Chapter 31

Hanging up after a few more words are shared, I'm left to stare at the device before glancing up at Axel. "There's no turning back now, huh?" I ask softly, trying to fight the nausea. It needs to happen, this has to end. He nods and offers a slight smile.

"No turning back now, Baby G." I nod slowly and sigh.

"Do I have to be here when he gets here to watch, you know?" I turn to look at him, tearing my eyes away from the table to look up at him again.

"He might have some questions for you, Baby G." Axel sighs as he rubs my back softly. I give a slow nod and stare at the now cold sandwiches. Not like I really wanted to eat.

"Oh." Oh? Really, that's all you could come up with? "I can't be surprised, do you think he's going to help us?" Axel nods and leans against the couch in thought.

"Yeah, he'll be able to help us. It's going to be a tense couple of weeks, I hope you know that Baby G." I nod softly and look up at him, following his actions and leaning back against the couch.

"I have to be strong. This needs to end, I'm no longer the only one in danger; there's so much more at risk." Sighing, I have to strengthen my resolve. "I have to fight if I want to end it. Sitting on my ass has done nothing for me." The past few days I've been stuck in a funk, swamped with horrible thoughts. It finally all mounted. What have I been doing from the beginning? Nothing. Isn't the definition of insanity doing the same thing repeatedly, expecting a different outcome? I've been doing the same thing for years; hiding. Never once have I tried to fight this, stop it before it attacks me.

I'm ready for a change, I have something worth fighting for. This MC, the people with them are worth it, more importantly, Axel is worth it. "Baby G, I'm proud of you." My thoughts are halted as I look up at him, confused.

"Why? I have done nothing to be proud of." His grin widens and his chest vibrates softly as he chuckles.

"Just now, you've done something to be proud of." My eyebrows furrow as I stare at him. I'm just sitting here? "And for the record, you've done a lot of things to be proud of." My face screwed up, even more confused, nose scrunched and eyebrows pinched.

"Axel, I'm confused, I don't understand." Axel chuckles and shakes his head as he drags me over to him.

"I'm proud of you because you want to take a stand, it's admirable; most would want to hide right now, turn a blind eye. With all they've done to you, I'd understand if you wanted to bury your head in the sand and ignore all that's coming." I blush and look at his chest, shrugging.

"I've tried burying my head in the sand. It's almost killed me, on more than one occasion." Shrugging, I feel embarrassed by my next omission. "I have something to fight for now." Axel is worth fighting for, even if I'm not helpful, or worth it. He is, and that's all that matters. Axel's hand cups my cheek, making me look up at him.

"Baby G, when this is over, I swear on all that I have and own, you'll be pampered like the queen you are. They won't win, I won't let them. You are worth fighting for." My eyes burn with tears as I smile at him, leaning in to give him a kiss. Letting the simple gesture be my words. I don't think I could come up with something delightfully eloquent that'd fit. No, I'd fumble through something, and ruin the moment, in true me fashion. Pulling away, I just rest my head on his chest, enjoying the comfort he offers. His hand rubs soothing circles on my back before he heaves a sigh. "Come on Baby G, you need food."

"Axel, I don't want to eat right now. Please, can I try to eat later?" I plead with him as I shift off of him, not having the heart or stomach to attempt food again. He stares at me for a moment longer before he shakes his head with a sigh.