3/4

JASPER AND EL GAZED UPWARDS at the dark building, listening to the distant cries of Demodogs. The redhead glanced at El, noting the wavering panic set in her eyes as she continued to stare at the lab she hated passionately.

"Thought you'd never be back here, huh?" Jasper prodded El's shoulder, her hand flying down and wrapping around the brunette's. El looked down at their folded hands, before meeting the storm swirling in Jasper's eyes. "We're gonna be okay."

"Alright," Hopper grunted, slamming the door of his trunk shut. He cradled a huge machine gun in his arms as he shifted to stand next to them. "You girls let me do the heavy lifting up front. Save your strengths until we're below. Everyone okay?"

"We will be once this is over," Jasper answered for the both of them, leading El and her father forward and into the one building on Earth that could be compared to literal hell.

The three marched down a series of winding corridors and pathways for what seemed like eternity. Lights continued to flicker at every hallway. "Is it just me or does this place seem a little...empty? Well, save for all the dead bodies, of course." Jasper shivered, chills rushing down her back.

No one replied, and Hopper instead pushed a door open that revealed a winding staircase. Jasper immediately noticed the scarlet red blood staining the metal railing and steps, and could hear faint groans of pain.

"Stay here," Hopper ordered the two girls, barreling down the stairs with his gun raised.

Of course neither of the girls were feeling very submissive that night, and it only took a few minutes for them to disobey his instruction. Jasper let a faint gasp fall from her lips when she saw a doctor with white curly hair, and a deep gash in his wounded leg that was gushing with blood.

"Suckers got you pretty good, huh Doc?" Hopper panted, unbuckling his belt hurriedly.

The man's curious blue eyes peered over at the girls looming over the two men, but no words came from his mouth. Hopper was quick to notice his straying gaze, throwing his daughter and El a quick glance.

"Oh yeah. Dr. Owens, this my daughter, Jasper, and Eleven. Jasper's the redhead and Eleven's wearing the punk makeup. El's been staying with me for about a year now," he rambled on whilst continuing to attend to Dr. Owens's leg. "These two girls...they're about to save our asses."

Dr. Owens remained silent, unable to speak from the massive agony rippling through his body. But his intrigued eyes continued to gawk at the teenagers staring back at him.

Jasper hated to admit it, but she could feel there was something different—much darker—when he looked at her compared to El. Although she didn't know this man, she wondered if he knew. If he knew about her mother, and all the horrifying tales Carson Oakes had told her a day ago.

"Maybe when this is all said and done, maybe you can help them out too. Help them both live normal lives after this. One where they're not poked and prodded, or constantly living in fear that men are searching for them. I dunno, just a thought." Hopper grumbled, tightening the belt's construction around Dr. Owens's leg, earning a pained grunt from the man.

"Think about it," Hopper huffed, harshly slapping the man's shoulder before handing him a walkie. "Don't go anywhere." Dr. Owens laughed bitterly at that, finding the obvious amusement in his words.