Chapter 20: Modern Day Life Lesson Nineteen

A/N: HI~~~~~~ I'm back~~~ after several successive updates of my Bleach fic and a freaking long disappearance, it's my re:Zero fic's turn to get some updates~~ here's chapter 18~~ please enjoy!!!

It was the Monday after the Cultural Festival, and the whole school was still under the happiness of the wonderful event, trying to enjoy the most out of it before it died out. However, there were certain people who refused to embrace that happiness, all of whom were now at the roof of the school building. Subaru and Emilia were standing side by side at one side of the roof, while on the other side, a raven-haired guy stood with his hands in his pockets, facing the exercise yard.

"What do you want from me now, Natsuki? This is very uncharacteristic of you, you know?" Hihara Yuuto finally spoke after a long silence, turning around and facing them. "Nothing much, just wanna get things clarified." Subaru replied, his expression stony and his voice cold. Emilia looked over to Subaru with a worried expression and moved back a few steps, her hands clutched together in front of her chest.

"Now let me ask the question, what do you want from her?" Subaru asked as he walked toward Hihara, and at the same time, Hihara started walking toward him as well. "Nothing much, just wanna get her to be mine." He said, smirking. "I want all the truth," Subaru said coldly, glaring at Hihara. His gaze moved over from Subaru to Emilia. "I assume you told him everything?" Hihara asked, and Emilia nodded. "Well then, I have nothing more to add. We made two deals. I'll stop picking on you and your gang of friends, and Emilia will stick around me to monitor me. Nothing more than that." Hihara said, and seeing that there wasn't a single change in Subaru's expression, Hihara pulled his hand out his pocket, holding it flatly. "I never lie, that's against my own pride." He said, and the two finally stopped. They were only a few centimeters apart, both glaring at each other.

They stayed like that for another few seconds, and Hihara broke the silence again. "Like all the guys in the school, I'm one of the people who wants Emilia, and I'm merely trying to make her become mine like everyone else, and now, look at you, trying to interfere with Emilia's business and restricting who she befriends. Who do you think you are? Her parents? Her sibling? Or her boyfriend?" He said, his voice so quiet that it was almost a whisper. "None of those. I'm her best friend!! And I have the right to protect her!!" Subaru said, his voice, different from Hihara's, was raising.

"Protect her from what?? Danger?? Bully?? Me?? Natsuki, I don't know if you realize this, but, aren't you being a bit, well, selfish??" Hihara retorted, smirking again, and Subaru's brow twitched. "I just don't want her to get hurt anymore! You haven't any idea what we've been through before we came back here!!" Subaru shouted, stepping back and punching the air furiously. "Oh, is that so? But what do you know about me, Natsuki?"
"I know enough about you to let me have all the reasons not to let Emilia be with you!!" Subaru shouted again, his teeth gritted.

Hihara sighed and ran his fingers through his hair, smirking once again. "Mattaku, Natsuki, you haven't changed a bit." He said, pulling his jacket off and throwing it back. "You wanna settle it the hard way, huh?" He continued, rolling up his sleeves. "I'm not who you think I am anymore, Hihara!" Subaru shouted, and Emilia came up to him and grabbed his arm. "Remember what I said!!" She shouted at Hihara, her hand holding Subaru's arm trembling slightly. "Don't worry, Emilia, I have no intention to break any of our promises. Natsuki, this is a bet." Hihara said, cracking his finger joints.

"If you can punch me once, just once, in five minutes, I'll never get near you anymore, not Emilia, not any of your friends. I'll even transfer to another school to start my new regime there. How does it sound, Natsuki?" He said, holding out his hands flat. Subaru balled his fists and got free of Emilia's grip. "You'd better not go back on your words!!" He shouted and dashed toward him, his fist raised. Before Subaru's fist swing toward Hihara, he smirked and put his hands back in his pockets. "You can never even touch me, Natsuki Subaru." Hihara said, the smirk on his face wider than ever.