Chapter 27

That night, the darkness visited me again

I was standing on the edge of the pit again. My toes curled over the edge, my t-shirt blowing in the cave's wind. Total darkness engulfed the vast expanse in front of me. Yet, I could see, rather, sense that I wasn't alone in the cave.

I could see the outline of the pit and I could see the silhouette of the man across from me on the other edge of the abyss. He wasn't a familiar figure. When he opened his mouth, the wrong voice spoke.

The man had the voice of Tucker Joy, but it wasn't him. I knew it wasn't him.

"What's stopping you from jumping?" The voice asked.

"N-nothing."

The man's head cocked to the side slowly. His Cheshire Cat smile seemed familiar.

"Eloise, such an interesting name."

I stumbled a little at the change of conversation and watched as a few pebbles tumbled into the pit. I never heard them reach the ground.

"Wh-what?"

The figure began walking around the edge of the pit toward me. Every step he took echoed throughout the cave and I wanted to step away.

"Your mother always did like the stories about the god Helios," The voice mused. "Though I never thought she'd name our daughter after him."

"Your daughter-"

"Lou!"

My eyes shot open, and I flew up in bed at the loud sound of my name. My hand against my furiously beating heart, I looked at my mother in the doorway. She rolled her eyes.

"Don't be dramatic, Sunshine. It's 10 am you should be awake, anyway."

She swatted the air, brushing me off. I took in a deep breath, still wondering about the dream I'd had. I had only a little time to worry about it when my mom clapped her hands together and grinned widely.

"What?" I asked, suspicious.

"You, me, and Harry are going," she paused for dramatic effect. "Wedding dress shopping!"

I wanted to laugh. Truly. My first reaction to her outburst was a burst of hysteria that threatened to break through.

"Mom, I don't think-"

She put her hands on her hips and I knew that it wasn't a suggestion. There was, however, an audible groan from the hallway. Harry poked his head inside my room and shot me a look.

"Don't bother arguing. She's relentless."

Mom gave him a good-natured shove away from the door and he laughed.