Season 3: Episode 3

| July 11 | Wednesday Afternoon |

~ Sam's POV ~

I fumbled with the last button on my shirt and gazed at myself in the full-length mirror. As excited as I was for my first day at Crossroads, I was also highly nervous. The anxiety of my first shift at this new job was eating away at my thoughts. Would the staff like me? Would they hate me? Doubt me? Would I be tested within my first hour on the clock?

There were so many things that could go wrong, but I knew better than to dwell.

You got this, I internally encouraged. It's just another day, except in a different office.

Megan hadn't returned from her interview at Bay Point, which could either be a good or bad sign. Either she was filling out paperwork or being told "sorry, but we just don't think you're fit for this position." The latter was highly unlikely, but according to Megan, teaching jobs weren't easy to come by.

Then, my phone buzzed in my pocket. I reached for it and slid the text notification open.

Megan: "Well, Bay Point is a no go, but the principal told me about an opening at Palm Vista Elementary."

Sam: "Elementary? That's a bit younger than you were hoping."

Megan: "Sure, it's not middle or high school, but it's still a job."

I nodded to myself. Megan was flexible, and she could certainly get the job done. It would just be significantly different than her past jobs.

Sam: "I say go for it. I believe in you, babe."

Megan: "Thanks. Are you leaving for work soon?"

Sam: "Yep. Don't wanna be late on my first day."

Megan: "I'll see you tonight, then. I love you."

Sam: "I love you, too."

I put my phone away and grabbed the rest of my things before kissing Charlie on the head and bolting out the door. The drive to work was about thirty minutes, with traffic, which I didn't consider too bad considering we lived in the St. Petersburg area and I worked in Tampa.

After finding a parking spot, I relaxed into my set and took a deep breath. Everything was going to be fine. First days were always nerve-wracking, but it was part of life. Chris wasn't going to leave me hanging, the workers would love me... I mean, why wouldn't they? I was cool. Everyone at Jinx loved me. There was absolutely nothing to worry about.

I exited my car and made my way toward the back entrance of the venue. The band tonight had soundcheck at four, which gave me an hour to settle in and prepare for their arrival. The show didn't start until seven, doors didn't open until five, and bartenders got here at four to set up.

The kitchen crew was already here and greeted me as I passed through their domain. Chris would most likely be at the bar waiting for me, where we would run through his nightly procedures and routines. It wasn't predicted to be a busy night, so there shouldn't be any learning-under-pressure.

"Sam!" Chris greeted. "You're a little early."

"I hope that's okay?"

"It's great. We can get a head start on your training before the night kicks off."

My nerves settled as we fell into conversation. Then, without much hesitation, we jumped right in, which is exactly what I needed. He showed me where everything was, gave me keys to the office, showed me which keys were for what, because there was a lot of them, and continued to fill my head with information.