XIV

The deterioration of Solennes Jubar was a sight to never forget

The deterioration of Solennes Jubar was a sight to never forget. We walked the streets, heads bowed, trying not to bring attention to ourselves. Beggars grasped at our ankles, pleading for a single coin. Stray animals ran in our way, holding other rotten animals in their mouths. The buildings around us all looked abandoned, but I was proved wrong when people entered and exited them. The sidewalks and streets were cracked and jagged, something I'd never seen before.

Usually when I went to Solennes Jubar on a royal trip with my parents, we'd take the road towards the Royal Inn, where everything was smooth beside the thick forest. I did not think that their debt had taken on a terrible toll in the kingdom.

How were they going to help attack Potentia Flamber with no assets?

We continued on our way, going through short-cuts and alleyways, evading the beggars and officials. I followed them and did my best to be quiet. My fear controlled my body into taking the softest steps. No one had a problem with me as long as I stayed quiet.

Soon enough, Herc stopped by what looked like an entrance to a sewer system. I quirked my brow when he opened the top, exposing a set of steps that led underground.

"Since we have a new recruit, she's going to go first," he motioned to the hole on the ground. I sighed and made my way to the steps. A small breeze of hot air hit my face as I looked down into the darkness. I turned to Herc.

"Isn't there a light of some sort? I can assure you I will fall down like an idiot."

Everyone snickered behind me.

"Just go in," he growled.

"What about your lantern?" I asked, pointing at it. Herc looked down at the antiquity, and turned it on. It flickered for a few seconds and shut off. I pouted.

Herc threw it to the side, and pointed back to the hole. I raised my hands up in surrender and took the first step.

"If you hear tumbling suddenly, know it's me," I said as I disappeared into the darkness.

My feet barely moved trying to find the edge of the steps. Whenever my toes bent downward, I would go down another step. I didn't dare touch the sides of the tunnel, afraid of what might be stuck to it.

About half-way down, I heard someone else go down. I yelped when the person almost knocked me down.

"My, how brutish can you be!" The person steadied my body from falling, laughing at my sudden outburst. I could hear everyone else at the top snickering. They couldn't have seen what happened, but my words must've traveled up to them.

"Sorry," the person said, followed by more chuckles. I rolled my eyes remembering the voice; it was Adonis. Not even my brutal attack could stop his cheeky tendencies. "Come on, you're being slow. Pick up the pace."

His hands went to my waist, and guided me down the steps. My heart quickened, but I continued going downwards. In the back of my brain, I heard everyone else start going down too. When the last person joined us, the top was sealed and the darkness got worse if possible.