53. lies and truths

53.
lies and truths

QUINN

     'GOTTA BE KIDDING ME,' A VOICE BROKE THROUGH her drifting thoughts. 'Shit.'

Quinn frowned, opened her eyes and turned on her other side, pulling herself out of her dreamless sleep. After her talk with Daryl last night she went back inside, and apparently she had fallen asleep. The fear of these men was clearly not bigger than her need for a good night rest.

Daryl was laying on his back next to her, maintaining a respectful distance, but still close enough to jump up and protect her if it was necessary. His arms were folded under his head as he stared up at the ceiling, not worried about Len's apparent troubles. She couldn't help herself but take in the sight of him for a second. Of course she had noticed that beneath all the dirt that he was always covered in, very handsome features were hiding. But looking at him now, even this dirty, she could clearly see his sharp features and piercing blue eyes that would attract a lot more people had they not been drawn in an angry scowl all the time. Strangely enough, that scowl had stopped bothering her a long time ago and now only added to the strange attraction she felt whenever her eyes found him. 

When that thought crossed her mind she turned away, taking a shaky breath and hoping he hadn't noticed her staring. The apocalypse really wasn't a good time to start swooning over a handsome redneck. Luckily, or not, she was ripped out her thoughts when Len walked up to them, making Daryl sit up straight, his back taking Len out of Quinn's sight. She couldn't tell if he did that on purpose, but knowing the man barely did anything without reason, she guessed that some instinct within him would always act protective to whoever needed it.

'Give it here,' the man snapped.

Wiping the sleep out of her eyes she sat up too, stretching out her numb limbs, taking the time to show him how little she cared, before finally turning her gaze to him.

'Step back,' Daryl growled at him.

'My half was in the bag, now it's gone. Now ain't nobody 'round here interested in no half a damn cottontail except you,' Len shouted. 'Ain't that right?'

Daryl pushed himself off the ground, staring at the man with eyes that could've made walkers drop dead. Quinn slowly stood up as well, watching as Joe came walking towards the two.