"pretty girl"

finally. the madness had ended. lucas and i were dancing as everyone else had their own dance. i smiled at him and he smiled back. i could tell he was nervous so i was sure to make the first move. i leaned in and kissed him. he pulled away and looked astonished as i giggled and placed my head on his shoulder. i smiled. there couldn't be any more perfect moment than this. i never thought i would find myself in lucas' arms. we continued to dance, and more awkward smiles and laughs came along.

after a few slow songs, the upbeat songs came back on. me and lucas felt ourselves pull away. he pointed to will, dustin and mike all together. i nodded.
"go ahead, you can hang out with them. i'll be fine." i said in a comforting voice. he smiled.
"thanks max, you're 'totally tubular!'" he said, chuckling. i shook my head and laughed.
"god, sinclair, you are such a nerd." i said as i ran off to the food table. we both went our seperate ways.

i looked over my shoulder to find will, dustin, lucas, and mike all bonding and laughing as boys do. i reached the food table, and grabbed a cup and poured myself some punch. i took a few sips, looking across the gym. i saw a group of girls, giggling, whispering and having lots of fun hanging out. i slowly frowned. don't get me wrong, i loved hanging out with the boys, but i needed a girl to share my feelings with, a girl to have girl time with, a girl who... understood me. i set my drink on the table and sighed, putting my elbows on the table. i looked across the gym and saw eleven alone. sitting on the bleachers, her elbows to her knees. i didn't think much of it at first, but then an idea popped in my head. i found myself walking over to the bleachers.

eleven didn't see me until i was about 3 feet from her. she stood up. as she was facing me i gave an awkward and nervous smile. she looked me up and down, disgusted. she turned quickly and just as she started to walk away and i grabbed her by the arm.
"wait!" i said. she looked at me holding her arm and pulled it away from my grasp sharply.
"just- please, listen to me, el." i said calmly. she looked back at mike, he was still joking with the boys. she turned back around.
"okay." she said silently. i took a deep breath and closed my eyes.
"i know you hate me, and i'm not really sure why-" i started.
"i saw you." eleven said sharply. she looked very angry. she crossed her arms across her chest. i had a confused look on my face. i looked around, trying to think of whatever the hell she could have been talking about.
"you... saw me?" i asked confused. she nodded her head and i still had the same face expression. she rolled her eyes.
"i saw... you and, mike." she said slowly. i still was thinking. i remembered the only time mike and i hung out together, alone. the middle school. when the boys and i were trying to find dart, mike and i hung out in the gym. well, i guess i wouldn't call it 'hanging out' it would be more of a coincidence that we were together. mike hates my guts. probably always will. i sighed.
"look, we weren't like, flirting or anything, we were trying to find one of those..." i said, hesitant. el tilted her head, waiting for me to continue my explanation.
"those, things. and we just ended up being in the same room, he hates me el! you can even ask him yourself." she sighed and looked at me with distrust.
"you two were.. smiling." eleven said angrily. i sighed and nodded.
"yeah, i know, el, but trust me. i hate him, he hates me. i promise, he's all yours." i chuckled. she looked at her feet as she tapped her foot, her arms still crossed.
"i just, i wanted to clear things up and i want us to be on good terms. and.." i said, looking at my feet as well. "i'm sorry." i looked up at el with a 'please be my friend' face. she looked up and bit the inside of her cheek, thinking of how to answer my shitty apology. she looked back to the boys quickly and looked back at me.
"i forgive you." she said. i smiled and sighed in relief. she grinned slightly and nodded.
"friends?" i asked desperately, holding my hand out for a shake. she looked down at my hand then back at me and smiled. she grabbed it and shook it carefully.
"friends." she repeated, smiling. she turned around and walked back to mike, where he greeted her happily. i looked at her and smiled greatly.

i finally walked back to the party. i stood next to lucas, as he put his arm around me.
"hey mad max." he said, smiling at me, chuckling. i smiled back. i looked over at mike and eleven talking, smiling, flirting. eleven turned and looked at me, just before i was going to turn my head, el gave me a cute smile. i smiled back. before lucas and mike could notice us, we looked back to our dates and continued to have a great night. i looked at el once more. i never realized how pretty she was, and she was actually pretty nice than i thought. i was so happy we were friends. and this was just the first nights of many.