Chapter 11

William's P.O.V.

I part my eyes at the sound of Sassy's soft whines, her small paws scratching at the door aggressively to be let out.

I shift my head to look at her, any annoyance being wiped out by the immediate guilt that forms when I spot her leash still attached to her collar from the previous night. 

The previous night....

I hadn't had a day that bad in a long time. Hadn't felt that useless for such a long time, that I'd somehow convinced myself I wasn't still broken.

"Sorry girl," I say tiredly, wincing slightly at the way my voice rasped with the pressure against my vocal cords.

I rub at my eyes tiredly, forcing myself to sit up despite the blinding pain which shots up from my ankle at the action, attaching itself to every inch of my body. My muscles ache from all corners eliciting a groan of discomfort, the slight pang of a headache reminding me of the way I'd fallen asleep. 

Crying and in pain.
I thought I'd gotten past that, but last night reminded me without mercy that I hadn't.

I try standing but fall straight back down when I foolishly place pressure onto my right foot. I curse angrily at my stupidity, my foot throbbing its discomfort. I frown at the extremity of my leg, willing it to stop being a bitch.

My thumping head sways as memories pool in one by one. Blue not showing up, running in sheer panic, endless darkness, falling, crying and finally, Damon.

The man's blurred face resurfaces instantly but it fades quickly with the headache that was clearly trying to kill me. I always got horrible ones when I cried too much and God knew I cried my fair share last night.

I lift my foot to take a look at it, putting it right back down when I receive a blurred image.

Sadness jabs itself at my chest and I let it in, the reminder of not being able to see rearing its ugly head as it did every morning. I thought by now it'd wear off, but it hadn't, even after all these months I still woke up everyday forgetting what had happened, until something reminded me that I'd lost my vision.  

Sassy's whining pulls me from my self-analysis and consequential misery, reminding me she missed her morning walk and was probably dying to pee.

I stand up, placing my entire body on my left leg enough to limp over to the door. I slip my feet into my slides slowly before bending down to grab her leash which I hadn't unhooked from her last night. I mumble a shameful apology at not doing so earlier.

Once I'd locked myself in my apartment, I'd crashed into bed and sobbed until I fell asleep. 

I was so useless....

I grab my keys and slip out with Sassy. Taking a glance across at the door opposite to mine, room 304. I wonder briefly if he was home or if he was sleeping, there wasn't a sound to be heard on the other side and he was probably tired after dealing with me last night.

Sassy pulls me down the hallway impatiently, I mumble small 'okay's, continuing my limping behind her with soft curses when my right foot took too much weight, trying my hardest to ignore the pain.

A weird amount of comfort forms at the thought that my ankle couldn't possibly be broken, not if I was putting pressure on it without falling straight down. It was probably sprained, but that didn't stop it from hurting like hell.

Once we're outside, Sassy finds the nearest bush and let's go. I look away when she sends me her usual glare for privacy.

I stare across at the building's entrance instead and find myself pulled back to last night when Damon had carried me inside.