4. Confusion

"Last hour? Varian, the funeral was a week ago

"Last hour? Varian, the funeral was a week ago."
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

You ran through the empty and dark halls of Corona's castle, which were lit up by some newly placed torches. Lately, the sky was grey and dark constantly, making it impossible to see something, even in the day-time, if you didn't have a torch.

You had a theory that the constant darkness, had something to do with the rocks, but you didn't speak up about it.

You ran down the stairs as fast as you could, heading for Varian's room. The princess had agreed for you to try and talk to him since it was one of your only options left. You didn't expect him have used this past week, when he has been busy grieving over his father, on making a special substance that can save the kingdom from getting destroyed, but you sure hoped that he at least had an idea.

And of course, you just wanted to see him again.

You had reached his door, which was right next to the dungeon and knocked a few times.

When no one answered, you knocked again. "Varian? Are you there? It's me. (Y/n)."

There was no answer at first, but after some time a soft familiar voice was heard behind the walls.

"(Y/n)? Is it you?" He asked from the other side of the door, with a voice that sounded like it could break any second.

"It is, it's me. Can you let me in?" You asked softly, placing your hand on the door. You could hear him hesitate a little, but eventually, you heard the lock click, and the door opened.

And tears formed in your eyes as you saw him and his state, and every wall that you had build around you the past week completely fell down.

Your best friend was looking at you with red eyes with bags under each, his hair was one big mess, the black clothes that everyone in the castle had to wear, was dirty and wrinkled, and he had a confused and hurt look on his face. He looked right at you and seeing him like this broke your heart.

You should have been there for him. You should have come here sooner. Fuck his privacy and his time for grieving. He had needed you. It was fucking obvious, and you didn't see it because you were too distracted with finding a solution with the black rocks... What a friend you were.

"Varian what're you-" You started, but the boy immediately grabbed your hand, and dragged you inside his room, looking at you with panic.

"Shhh. I don't want them to know." Varian whisper-yelled at you, shaking your shoulders lightly.

You were confused. "Know what? Varian, what's wrong?"

He was about to say something, but then he just sighed and closed his eyes. You were even more confused by this. You had excepted him to be either mad at you, that you first showed up now,  or be really sad, and crying his eyes out, still because of his dad. Not him being this skeptical about something.

"Varian." You whispered, putting a hand on his chin, making him sigh once more. "You can tell me."

And then, much to your delight, he nodded, and the two of you sat down in his bed. "I... These past few days... I know it sounds crazy, but I can't remember them. The last thing I remember was getting home from my fathers funeral, and locking myself in my room. Everything else is just... gone. It's like I can't remember the last hour..." He spoke, with much confusion in his voice, and getting emotional from mentioning his dad.

You looked at him with furrowed eyebrows. "Last hour? Varian, the funeral was a week ago."

His eyes winded in shock. "WHAT!?"

Now it was your eyes' turn to winded. "You didn't know? Varian, it's been seven days. You must remember something!"

"But that's the thing (Y/n), I don't! I don't remember a single thing! It's like I just woke up from a dream! I-I-" Varian spoke with such panic that you had to panic.

"But Varian, maybe that's completely normal! I mean after your... loss, you may have been so emotionally down, that your mind just... Turned off?" You tried to say, not knowing if it was completely normal at all.

"N-no, it's not like that... Or maybe it is, I don't know, but for seven days? Seven days? Haven't I've been... Doing anything?" He said, running a hand through his hair. You knew your best friend hated when he didn't understand something, and he clearly didn't understand how what had happened to him was even possible.

And then you looked around his room. Books and alchemy gear was scattered all over the floor, and bobbling liquids could be found almost everywhere you looked.

"It sure doesn't look like you've been doing nothing." You spoke, walking over to his desk. There was a book, with something written in it. It looked like a lot of 'ingredients' to breed different potions. 

Varian walked up behind you and looked around his room. He just nodded, with a serious face expression.

You ran your fingers over the page and saw to your surprise that the ink wasn't dry yet. You turned to Varian, with your hand held up for him to see.

"This page is written with ink that hasn't dried out yet! That means you must've been writing in this right before I came in! What were you doing before I came?"

Varian growled and put his hands to his head as if something really hurt. "I-i don't know. I can't remember further back, from seconds before you banged on the door..."

You nodded. This was indeed really strange.

You held up the book, for Varian to look in. "Do you recognize any of this?"

He looked at every word closely, but eventually, he shook his head. "No... But it is my handwriting. This is really strange."

"You don't say. Do you know what this potion, that you've written about when you couldn't remember, does?" You asked. Maybe he had worked on a potion that could dissolve the rocks in some kind of way, and he just couldn't remember. It was worth a try, and it is why you came here after all. And to see Varian of course.

He looked closely at the page again. He clearly was in deep thought.

And then he gasped.

"(Y/n), some of these ingredients is pure poison!"

⚠️!-DISCLAIMER-!⚠️Again, this fanfiction does NOT portray the real DID for fictional purposes, it portrays the stereotypical and an inspirationed version of DID!This is completely fictional, inspired by the disease! The real thing is nothing but harmless! I'm not an expert, remember that.Thank you