Kieran Duffy: Only Regret

Kieran Duffy X Female Reader

Summary: you and Kieran have grown close since he joined the gang, your only regret was not being able to tell him how you felt until it was too late.

WARNING: angst, character death

Word Count: 2300

You felt bad for Kieran when he first joined the gang, something about watching him tied to that tree tugged at your heartstrings. But they eventually gave him the freedom to roam around camp and you decided to befriend him, since everyone else was pretty cruel to him. It wasn't long before you learnt that Kieran was a very kind man, he was kind and sweet. He was a little shy and nervous around you but once he came out of his shell, you started to see the real Kieran and that's then you started falling for the man.

~Horseshoe Overlook~

The gang had released Kieran from his restraints against the tree, after he saved Arthur's life the gang had started to trust him, at least a little bit. He was now allowed to walk around the camp freely but he still couldn't leave the camp on his own, he had also been given the responsibility of caring for the horses. You were happy for him since he seemed to enjoy it.

Kieran was working with the horses right now and you were walking towards him with a beer in his hand. He had been working all day but you hadn't seen him stop for a drink, you were a little worried about him.

"Hey Kieran, how are you?" you asked with a warm smile, laughing softly as he jumped in surprise and turned to you. Obviously he hadn't heard you approaching him.

"Oh, Y/N, hi. I'm alright thanks, how are you?" Kieran returned your smile as he brushes his hands against his pants before straightening out his jacket.

"I'm good, I brought you a drink" you told him as you held the beer bottle out towards him.

"Oh, thank you, you didn't need to do that" he raised his eyebrows in surprise as he took the bottle from you. You had always been the kindest to him.

"You looked hard at work, I thought you needed something to cool down. It's okay to take a break every now and again" you chuckled fondly.

"I don't want anyone to think that I'm not working hard or that I'm not earning my keep" he confessed before taking a sip from the beer. He hadn't realised how thirsty he was until now, it was like you knew him better then he knew himself.

"You don't have to prove that, at least you don't have to prove it to me. I know the others give you a hard time but some of them actually like you, they just won't admit that" you assured him as you both walked over to a near by rock, just the right size to sit on.

"Well, thank you for your kindness" Kieran thanked you as he sat down on the rock, taking your words to heart.

"You're welcome. Do you mind if I join you?" you asked, gesturing towards the space beside him.

"Not at all" Kieran smiled, he had hoped that you would sit with him.

"I can see why you spend so much time here with the horses, it's quieter than the rest of the camp" you smiled, you could hear the noise from the camp but is was fainter here than anywhere else. It was just more relaxed than any other part of the camp.

"Yeah, and the others leave me alone when I'm here...most of the time anyway" Kieran sighed, his shoulders dropping slightly.

"I'm sorry that they give you a hard time. If you ever need to talk, you know were to find me" you reminded him with a smile, placing your hand on his as a sign of reassurance.