thirty | life

"What do you got?"

"Severely severed leg, but his artery's tied off and in a tourniquet."

"Who tied off the artery?"

Derek Shepherd, head of neurosurgery at Seattle Grace Hospital, examines the leg when he catches a glimpse of the jacket over top.

"Dr. Phoenix?" His fingers touch her I.D. picture, sighing under his breath. "This is her jacket."

"We found him like this. She must have moved on." The paramedics push him onto the back of the ambulance.

Although not convinced, he simply nods. "Yeah. Yeah, okay."

Meanwhile, across the other side of the pavement, Meredith sits at the last step of the staircase, her legs dangling into the water.

Her skin has returned to its natural complexion, but her cheeks flush red with each choked sob from her throat.

"Help. . .help."

----------

"It's okay."

Derek holds a young blonde girl's hand, the one Leven Phoenix had been seen with. He kneels down beside her, trying to follow her line of sight.

"Just think. Where is she? Which way did she go? " His voice grows desperate with every passing minute. "Take your time. Take all the time you need. You're doing great."

She looks from the triage center to the array of firetrucks. While scanning the crowd, she notices a familiar red sign.

She walks towards the American Red Cross tent with him in tow, only to walk past it into a secluded area on the rescue scene.

He catches up to her at the edge of the dock while looking out into the water.

"Use your words. Where exactly is Leven?"

Confirming his worst fears, she points out into the water. Salty tears prick the inner corners of his eyes, threatening to spill at any given moment.

"Derek!"

A familiar voice calls out his name.

"Derek!"

Someone's nitrile-gloved-hand lifts into the air, weakly waving to grab his attention.

"Meredith?"

----------

"Hey, kid!"

One of the U.S. Coast Guard members approaches the young girl, an orange jacket thrown over his shoulders with his name in white print.

"You okay, kid?" The man bends down in front of her. "You need to come with me, okay?"

Her hazel green eyes continue to stare out into the water, as if she was waiting for something to happen.

"Kid?"

Without a verbal response, he lifts her up from underneath her arms and starts to carry her towards the group of tents.

Splash!

The surface of the water breaks with a loud splash, and out comes three people: a grief-stricken Meredith Grey, a soaking wet Derek Shepherd. . .and a close-to-lifeless Leven Phoenix.

"I need an ambulance. Now."

----------

One, two, three, four, five.

His lips press to Leven's, forcing air into her body.

One, two, three, four, five.

"E.T.A.'s five minutes." A paramedic calls from the driver's seat.