05: tenacity

Jungkook knew very well how to swim— he was a lifeguard, after all, and had been the varsity swim captain in his four years as a high school athlete.

Now, by all means, this didn't mean that Jungkook was a reincarnation of Michael Phelps (in spite of what his mother claimed), but he was surely better than Seokjin, who splashed the younger with his donut floatie once they arrived at the lake.

After returning from their hike a few hours ago, the group had felt overwhelmed by the intense heat that washed over them and decided that Jisoo's suggestion to go swimming would help them cool down. In Chaeyoung's words, it was an essential to having a "hot girl summer"—whatever that was.

One by one, Jungkook watched his friends jump into the lake and shriek at its temperature from his seat alongside the dock. Personally, he wasn't feeling up to swimming quite yet and found the view to be much more relaxing.

A nudge against his hip was what broke his concentration and forced him to look at the blonde towering over him.

"Aren't you going to join us?" She asked.

Jungkook shook his head. "I'm good," He replied and watched as Lisa opened her mouth as if to object, only to close it just as quickly.

"Suit yourself," She shrugged indifferently and slid her fingers down to the hem of her oversized t-shirt, lifting it over her head to reveal a black two-piece swimsuit underneath.

Jungkook's eyes travelled from her toned legs (which seemed as if they extended forever) to her defined stomach and sharp collarbones, which sported the same necklace he'd seen her wear on several occasions.

As she walked towards the diving board with a slight sway of her hips, he saw her glance back at him before climbing the ladder with a flip of her hair.

All it took was mere seconds until Jungkook was splashed by water (again) from her dive and caught the blonde's smug stare as she swam towards the others.

.

The cycle of Lisa indirectly yet intentionally splashing Jungkook repeated for longer than he expected, with the addition of Taehyung and Jimin (who joined the blonde simply to annoy him).

To be honest, Jungkook was rather impressed with her tenacity than annoyed at her stubbornness as he rose to his feet and stretched.

Stripping himself of his white t-shirt, Jungkook placed it beside Lisa's and made his way up the ladder, to several of his friends' surprise.

As if it were second nature to him, Jungkook dove into the water and rose to the surface just as gracefully, shaking his head from side to side in efforts to dry his dampened hair.

Beside him, Lisa suddenly sensed the aura of revenge radiating from his body and tried to escape his trap by swimming away towards Jisoo and Namjoon. Unfortunately for her, by then the ravenette had already caught onto her plan.

Jungkook swiftly reached his hand through the water to latch onto Lisa's thin ankle and smirked when he heard her squeal as she sank towards the bottom.

"Holy shit," She drawled, when he finally let go and they were mere inches apart from each other—close enough to see the droplets stuck on her eyelashes and the mole by the corner of his lips.

Jungkook simply shrugged as he fought the grin threatening to shatter his unbothered facade while on the other hand, Lisa faked annoyance; although the blush adorning her cheeks said otherwise.

.

That night, Jungkook sat with Lisa along the outskirts of the campfire after the blonde explained that its smoke caused her headaches.

He made it a point to ignore Jimin's suggestive gestures and focused on the woman beside him as she roped him into another one of her wild stories.

"So I was laying there, tarantula on my eye—"

"You're kidding!"

"Oh honey, I wish—and this photographer was just like 'Smile, Manoban. No one likes a kill-joy'."

"I would've asked for an Almond Joy."

"What?" Lisa laughed, shaking her head amusedly before glancing at him as if she couldn't quite decipher something. "You're weird, Jungkook."

At this, he snorted and raised his can of beer to his lips. "Thanks," He replied sarcastically and heard her chirp a sweet "anytime" immediately after.

As the night went on and they soon retreated to their respective sleeping bags, Jungkook knew one thing for sure— Lisa was like an untamed hurricane, yet oddly enough, he found it calmer by her side.

❂✴❁✴❂

author's note: double update? :) i couldn't stop myself and hope you know that your love, votes, comments (everything!!) is so appreciated. ily lots