38. Quote

Space is frighteningly formidable; if he is your enemy.

🦋

The noon event concludes peacefully. After having lunch together, additional guest included, Dad allows me to choose whether to stay or return to Universe Boarding House. I am thinking of checking the building, so I tell Dad I will go for now and then come back at night.

Dad is concerned about me moving between places like this, but the rest assure him that they will watch over me.

The 1st to leave is the guest, Nova Pollux. She has her driver come to pick her up. Before her carriage arrives, Miss Pollux drifts to my side and voices a question, "Are you not curious about me, at all?"

I look at her. Examining her in person like this does let me see some similarities she has with Galaxy Pollux. However, to her question, I reply, "It's not worth to be curious about you,"

So. It seems like my manner of speech is really fixed when talking to strangers. As in, it can no longer be changed. Even though I want to be cordial, I don't have a grudge or anything like that with her, it still comes out as arrogance.

Only when I am talking to family and friends that I don't sound this bad. Or so I think.

The results from my manner of speech: Nova Pollux drops her head in sadness.

The little things I heard about her from Scopus Rasalhague were mostly about her relations with Galaxy, she is the Daughter of Galaxy's Uncle, plus her health. Apparently, she has a Heart Disease. Because of this disease she was born with, she spent almost all her life in the Hospital.

Which is why Nova Pollux can be seen as weak or meek. Even though she is 1 or 2 years older than us.

When I recall the family portrait Galaxy once showed me years ago, I recall not seeing Nova Pollux in the picture. Perhaps, she was hospitalised at that time? In any case, to me, her existence and appearance is not something to be curious about.

She and I will not have anything to do with each other, is what I believe.

"I have heard a lot about you," Miss Pollux repeats suddenly, of what she said to me before, without raising her head, "Everyone who knows you seems to like you a lot,"

"It's because they are my friends," I respond casually, "If you heard from my enemies, it will be a different story,"

"Isn't that right?" Miss Pollux raises her head to giggle. Then, she sighs, sounding envious, "To have so many friends who genuinely like you..."

It is natural for her to be envious, because of her health problem. I doubt she manages to befriend a lot of people; or have the chance to do that. Even so, I do not offer her my friendship.

Not yet.

Whilst she chatters on, I halfheartedly respond to her. My attention is drawn towards my friends who are scattered inside the living room. They aren't talking. Not to each other.

It reminds me of what Scopus mentioned. Friends being unfriendly.

I close my eyes, knowing that my decision on finally letting them know my choice will worsen their relationship further. Yet, I have delayed them long enough. Even if we truly break apart... I will not turn my back on them.

They will still be my friends, even if one-sidedly.

🦋

After returning to find Universe Boarding House intact, and before I leave for Caduceus Mansion again, Space pulls me aside, to the study room, and lock us in there.