Chapter 33

When we arrived at the pack house all hell broke loose.

But to be fair, I looked like hell.

In the car mirror on the ride over, I watched the right side of my face become engorged with blood, morphing into a grotesque deep purple. It was swelling so rapidly I felt the skin grow taunt and ballooned like an overripening plum ready to burst from the pressure.

My eye transformed into a bloated mulberry colored lump, completely unusable. It throbbed in synchronicity with my heartbeat and shot a poignant ache into the socket of my eye.

My discolored lips had split open causing specks of dried blood to linger on my mouth. Not to mention the blood pooling inside my cheek which every while I had to roll down the window to spit out. Dying the snow on the sidewalk a bright crimson.

Lifting my shirt my ribs had splotches of reds and yellows forming across them. Deepening and spreading like a rash across my torso.

Every breath was a labor and felt sharp and stung.

My whole body felt tender and abused. I just wanted to sleep.

Bella looked distressed, every bump we went over I involuntarily let out a high pitched whimper, causing her to whimper in response.

She helped me to the front door, putting my arm over her shoulder and taking the brunt of my weight.

The moment we entered a maid walking by turned with a cheery smile, but upon seeing my current state was immediately stopped in her tracks.

The maid gasped loudly, shocked at what looked like her Luna turned into a bloody pulp, but recovered quickly.

"Someone get the Doc!" She yelled and rushed over. She automatically helped us to a nearby chair and sat me down.

My whole body trembled to the point I was shaking the hand Bella gave me.

The adrenaline had been flushed from my system and I was experiencing full force the pain of my injuries.

People hurried over and brought me to a clean sterile room lined with hospital beds and curtains. Medical equipment lined the walls and there were stainless steel trays filled with shiny tools.

They laid me down onto one of the beds and rushed about in a panic like chickens with their heads cut off.

I understood their reason for hysteria. I was their Luna, the heart of the pack and their Alpha's long sought after mate. And here I was coughing up blood looking like the grim reaper was knocking at my door.

The doctor thundered in with a big swing of the doors and I managed to make out Dimitri wearing latex gloves holding a vial and needle.

Huh, didn't peg him for an intellectual.

He stuck the needle into the vial and began to slowly pull up the plunger, eyes carefully reading the amount. He quietly shushed me as he did this, but I hadn't said anything.

I realized then that the high babble of sounds that was grating on my ears origins were from my very own vocal cords. Feeble cries escaped me as I laid there causing everyone in the room to swirl into a frenzied agitation.

I felt a dull ache and looked down to see Dimitri inserting the needle into the inside of my elbow and then injecting the contents into my bloodstream.

"Hydromorphone." Dimitri looked up at me and began inspecting my face. "Pain killer." He bluntly added.

He did a full once over, making me change into a scratchy medical gown and evaluated my ribs and breathing.