3

"Oh gosh, they gave you hell for talking to me," Sakura blubbered, burying her face in her hands as they walked into the carpark.

"I could flirt with everyone's boyfriend or girlfriend alike, they wouldn't seriously bully me," Hyewon scoffed, sipping from her tumbler. "That's my car there, sit in front."

What if she's known about me all along?

What if she's part of some monster hunter bureau and is gonna kidnap me?

What if she drugs me right now and kills me in the woods somewhere?

Sakura had second thoughts about Hyewon, but it was much too late to back out now, on the road to a location she didn't know, probably miles away from her home, and sitting stiffly in the passenger seat of Hyewon's Honda Civic.

No one - not even her own parents - had been so accepting with her appearance.

Hell, she'd been the only child in the orphanage to make it out at eighteen and get into a good school, a job, and a rented apartment.

Working at the local library was easy, because they paid enough to pay monthly rent and buy her 2,000KRW bag of pinkies each week (if that was all she ate), and all she had to do was smile as she checked out people's borrowed books.

"Sakura-ya," Hyewon said, popping Sakura's bubble of thought, "do you like chicken?"

Sakura nodded slowly. "I haven't eaten anything but pinkies in a long time..."

"Nice, 'cause I actually know a place in the countryside where there's a whole coop," Hyewon said, grinning as she turned a left.

Her panic rose when her eyes fell on a small sheated knife with a patterned handle in the cup holder between the driver and passenger seat.

She's going to stab you in an old abandoned barn in the countryside with that knife and take your head back to her bureau or wherever she works.

"Hye- Hyewon," Sakura whispered shakily as she clasped her hands together in her lap to prevent her from trembling too much.

Four pairs of arms stuffing her into a glass case covered with cloth.

"Hm?" Hyewon's fingers drummed on the steering wheel.

A man in a white coat and tweezers lifting her lip, inspecting her sharp incisor as a tear rolled into her mouth.

"Please," she winced, the word barely making it out. "Don't kill me. Please just tell your boss I got away, I've never harmed anyone before, I-"

Hyewon stopped the car at the side of the road and looked at her with a raised eyebrow.

Painful restraints binding her limbs together, letting her black blood seep though the rope burns in her ankles.

"What do you mean? I work at a macaron café, Sakura. Has anyone tried to kidnap you before?"

The large hand wrestling her head into the wet cloth.

Hiccuping, Sakura nodded.

"Oh, I'm sorry, Sakura, I won't ever do anything to hurt you," Hyewon promised, leaning over and patting Sakura's head lightly. "Promise."

Her memory faded, just a bit to focus on Hyewon.

"Wh-what's with the knife, t-then?"

Hyewon looked like a doe seperated from its mother as she tilted her head in pure confusion until Sakura pointed timidly at the sheathed metal with its decorated handle in the cup holder. Hyewon broke into a light giggle.

"This is a letter opener, Sakura, have you never seen one? It's just used to pick apart wax seals from fancy paper." Hyewon ran the side of it across her arm and pulled it away to reveal no harm done to her skin. "I got mail from my aunt a few days ago."

"I'm putting my trust in you," Sakura grumbled, furiously wiping at her reddening eyes with her blazer sleeve.

"Yea, yea, you can trust me," Hyewon chortled, slamming her foot on the pedal as she took off down the route again. She sheathed the letter opener and tossed it to the back. It landed with a clatter somewhere.

Sakura hiccuped and a watery smile cracked its way onto her face. Though her fingers stayed crossed where Hyewon couldn't see, just in case.