Intransigent | 12

Chapter 12

Ashton's POV

I looked down at my sleeping mate in my arms. I'd been waiting for her since I was sixteen and I couldn't believe I'd finally found her. I also couldn't believe who she was. I had just been talking to Alpha James about her and then I go down to the prison and there she is.

I was so proud to be able to call her my mate. I knew she was special. James had said so many wonderful things about her, and I knew that her pack had loved her. I'd never seen a pack react the way hers had when she'd been taken. Yeah, the people close to her would've changed, but in other packs, the rest would've carried on.

From what I've heard from Alphas closer to the Falling Star Pack, the entire pack had changed. I'd heard all about how outgoing and friendly they used to be, how happy and carefree they were. I'd never seen that side of them. Whenever I'd visited for meetings, the entire pack was somber and quiet. There was a pall hanging over all of them, especially the alpha. His voice always sounded dead. It was a wonder his pack was still hanging on.

I continued to stare at my beautiful mate. I knew that she would have emotional scars from her experiences the past two years, but I was praying that she would be able to open up to me about it. I had no doubt that I would want to kill someone when she did, but it wasn't healthy for her to keep it bottled up inside.

I wanted nothing more than to lie down and pull the covers over us both, but I knew that she would probably freak out if she woke up in bed beside me. With a disappointed sigh, I carefully lifted her in my arms and pulled down the blankets on my bed. I tucked her in carefully, making sure she was comfortable.

I leaned down, pressing a lingering kiss to her forehead, not wanting to leave her. She needed her rest, though, and I didn't want to scare her by sleeping with her.

I walked to the door, glancing back at her peaceful face once more before leaving the room and going back to my office. Dane and Rick were sitting down, chatting easily when I walked in.

"Where's Emma?" Rick immediately asked. I hated how close he was with my mate, but I knew he'd been there for her in the prison so I couldn't completely hate him.

"She's resting," I told him, taking a seat in the chair behind my desk. "Was your pack happy to hear from you?" I asked him.

He nodded. "They thought I was dead. Figured I'd been killed by rogues on my way back from Max's territory. My alpha asked me to come back, but I told him there were some things I needed to take care of before I returned. He understood."

I had a feeling I knew what things he needed to take care of before he returned to his pack. "You can go," I suggested to him. "I will take care of Emma, of that I can promise."

He shook his head, an un-amused smile on his face. "I won't leave her," he replied. Axel bristled but I shoved him down. Rick noticed. "I'm not a threat to you, Alpha Ashton," he told me. "Emma and I have a sibling-like relationship. I only wish to make sure she's safe and happy."

That was a relief to hear. I knew I was her mate, but Axel and I hated how close the two of them were. Knowing that they didn't harbor any romantic feelings for each other calmed both of us and I disliked Rick a little less.

"Can you tell me what happened during the last two years?" I asked him hopefully. I wanted to be at least slightly prepared for when Emma was ready to talk to me. I couldn't blow up in anger; she would need me there to comfort her.

Rick shook his head. "It's her story to tell, Alpha," he replied. "You're going to need to remain calm when she does," he added. "It's not going to be easy, not by a long shot, but you have to stay by her side. Her story is a horrific one and she's going to need you there to comfort her while she tells it."