xvi. benched with the five stages of grief

chapter sixteen
benched with the five stages of grief

 THERE ARE FIVE STAGES OF GRIEF  ;   Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Depression and Acceptance. And Rue Newby was shifting from the first stage, Denial, into the second: Anger. She didn't know it yet, but it was coming.

 Sitting on the dining table, Rue Newby leaned back in her seat, lazily playing with her dad's brain teasers. A sad smile grew on her face that barely reached her eyes. She remembered the time she got sick, and he brought them down from the attic, jumping in excitement. He called a day off at work, which wasn't a worry since he owned the radio shop, and they played with puzzles all day while enjoying the chicken soup Rue made with her mom's recipe. And all that happened in her first week in Hawkins.

 A tear rolled down her cheek, knowing that was the first and last time it'll ever happen.

 Steve and Dustin's voice grabbed her attention. She trapped her lower lip between her teeth as she quickly cleared up the games. Her feet lightly tapped on the hardwood floor as she walked to the kitchen. Rue tilted her head in confusion, and her eyes widened when she saw Steve carry the dead Demo-dog in his arms with a blanket, Dustin clearing out Ms. Byers' fridge.

 Rue leaned on the wall, crossing her arms before her chest, trying to hold back a smile as she watched the duo bicker. "What are you doing?"

 Dustin shrieked at the sudden voice. He spun around quickly, spotting Rue smirking at him, looking tiny in the giant navy blue sweater that nearly reached her knees. "It's a scientific discovery!" he exclaimed as Steve struggled to shove the dead Demo-dog into the fridge.