Tampons With and Without Applicators: Which to Choose?

A tampon without an applicator is the same as a traditional tampon with one difference: it has no cardboard or plastic applicator to insert into your vagina.

Applicators are the small tubes used to insert the tampon and place it inside the vagina.

Like all tampons, the non-applicator variety allows you to carry out all your everyday activities, from exercising to swimming on your period.

Most brands produce both kinds of tampons, which is handy because you can try out non-applicator tampons from a familiar brand and be assured of their quality.

Applicator vs. non-applicator tampons: which is better?

Although, non-applicator tampons are less popular than traditional tampons in some parts of the world, the opposite is true in other areas.

The type of period protection product that you prefer is a very personal choice.

Non-applicator tampons make some women feel like they have more control over the way they insert their tampons.

Since tampon applicators are straight, they don't mimic the natural curve of your vagina. Your fingers, however, can adapt to that shape to provide a more comfortable application.

Non-applicator tampons are also preferred by many women who want to reduce the amount of waste that they produce.

On average, a woman will use anywhere between 8,000 to 17,000 tampons during her lifetime.
That's a lot of applicators! These tiny plastic or cardboard tubes are rarely recycled and later thrown in landfills.

Tampons without applicators are a great way to reduce your environmental impact. There are other period products and methods that help with this, too, such as menstrual cups and free bleeding.

If you don't want to switch to a menstrual cup but would still like to reduce your waste, non-applicator tampons could be the way to go.

At the end of the day, your favourite type of period protection product is a very intimate choice.

There's no right or wrong option; as long as you're safe and healthy, it's up to you to decide which product you'd like to use.

If you're going to try out tampons without applicators, know that it's normal to need a few tries before you get the hand of the insertion process.

**I've honestly always used my fingers to insert my tampons. My mum would buy the plastic ones usually, but on occasion she would buy the cardboard and I honestly didn't like either, so i'd take the tampon out of the applicator and stick it in there myself. The only time that was ever an issue was when I had gotten my nails done because unfortunately blood seeps into the little cracks left between your real nail and the acrylic and dries and its just so horribly disgusting so I would suggest using a washable glove, like a red or black winter glove if you want to use a non-applicator tampon that way you'll not have that gross issue. But honestly, I now buy the Tampax Pure tampons, 100% cotton tampons and you can buy those with or without an applicator, I personally choose the non-applicator ones(: