20. danger

jungkook, jungkook, jungkook.

taehyung's thoughts were muffled. he went over his name a thousand times but it still didn't make any difference.

the bedroom was warmly lit by the lamp again, softly glowing as the hum of jungkook's low snore filled the room. jungkook had assumed it would be safe to sleep in the bed tonight instead of on the uncomfortable floor, even if taehyung had to make some sort of clean-freak line of pillows between each other and vow to never stop hating him.

taehyung's heart pounded. he had a secret, and kim taehyung never kept secrets. but this one was worse than any other one he ever had.

he stole jungkook's 9mm.

what am i doingggg, taehyung thought as he ran his hands over jungkook's gun.

he tiptoed around the bed, going over his options.

1. kill him
2. ...

"oh gosh, just whatever," taehyung whispered, cancelling that thought. he mustered all of the courage he didn't have and pointed the gun waveringly at jungkook, both fingers wrapped around the trigger.

it was now or never.

"hands up, stupid head!"

jungkook's eyes opened slowly. a concerned look appeared on his face. "come here," he sighed in response to seeing taehyung, crazily pointing his own gun at him.

"no," taehyung scream whispered, trying to sound as convincing as possible. "this is over."

"right," jungkook's voice was deep with tiredness, and besides the being half asleep business, he was clearly finding this situation more comical than serious.

"no," taehyung said, unsteadily holding the gun with a hard grip like in movies. that's what he was trying to do; pretending to be in a movie. there was no way this could be real life.

"okay," jungkook rolled his eyes and smiled dangerously as he reclined back. "then shoot me."

taehyung bit his bottom lip. in anticipation.

jungkook was sitting straight up, his chocolate hair falling in long waves over the sides of his head, looking more black than brown in the night sky.

taehyung gulped.

"you're not giving me a choice," he shrieked, sobs crawling up his neck and tears pooling in his eyes. "you're not giving me a choice."

"i am," jungkook said darkly, his smile alight with amusement.

taehyung's blood was always running hot with jungkook, warm to the touch, but now it went cold. his world went static.

he pulled both fingers down on the trigger and closed his eyes so hard it hurt.

nothing happened.

when he opened his eyes, jungkook was smirking, looking at taehyung apologetically. fake pouting.

taehyung felt his hands starting to shake and tears starting to escape. "this is not happening-"

"the safety was on," jungkook pushed the blankets off of his lap and gently pulled the gun out of taehyung's hands. "thanks for trying to kill me in my sleep. i think it's best if i take this back now."

"i don't understand," taehyung cried, breathlessly.

"clearly," jungkook adjusted his pillow. "go back to sleep."

taehyung felt all of the feelings he'd felt so far, but worse and harder. hopelessness, desperation, anger, sadness.

"i'm sorry," taehyung started to sputter, wishing he wasn't so stupid. "i'm so sorry, i just-"

jungkook was so tired. not just physically, but mentally, too.

"stop doing this."

"doing what?"

jungkook looked away from the crying boy standing at the foot of the bed and exhaled. "i don't know. just stop whatever it is."

it's not whatever, taehyung thought. he couldn't make himself stop crying.

jungkook looked him in the eyes. taehyung looked so hurt, like he was broken. like jungkook broke him.

jungkook's guilt conscience came back.

"i'm sorry."

taehyung looked up, shocked, his brown eyes glowing with surprise and warmth. that was the most comforting thing jungkook said. maybe he could forgive him. "you are?"

"hey, uh," jungkook tried to change the subject. "come here again."

taehyung stood for a minute, which felt like the longest minute in the universe. why does he want me after this, taehyung thought.

jungkook looked impatient. taehyung made his decision and crawled over jungkook's legs and onto his side of the bed, and without thinking, rested his head onto jungkook.

jungkook sighed, blowing a strand of his hair out of his eyes. "can i tell you something?"

taehyung made a small "mhm" noise, trying not to talk at all. he just wanted jungkook's body heat and blankets at the moment.

"i don't want to go back to my life," jungkook sighed. he thought of hoseok. all of the dark nights he spent alone. the fake identities. the "business trips." the loneliness.  "i wish i could stay here forever."

"it's not even that nice of a cabin," taehyung sobbed. his hair was in messy brown clumps and he had dark bags under his puffy eyes that didn't look right on him.

"thats not what i mean," jungkook sighed. "like, living."

"i almost killed you."

taehyung giggled after saying that. they were both smiling now.

"you looked pretty dangerous up there, but you couldn't kill me."

taehyung wiped a tear away with his thumb and looked up at jungkook warningly.

"so," jungkook exhaled, slightly embarrassed that he said what was on his mind for once. "i left you alone this morning. why didn't you leave?"

"because," taehyung shut his eyes, resting his head back into his soft pillow, ready for sleep. "it would be scarier to be without you than with you."