xxvii . Circe's Island

╔═══════════════╗

╔═══════════════╗

chapter xxvii.
( sea of monsters )
❝ circe's island! ❞

╚═══════════════╝

"HE MAY HAVE SURVIVED, I MEAN, FIRE CAN'T KILL HIM."

We didn't know what to say or do. Percy sat on the lifeboat with his brows furrowed, glaring down at the acid-green ocean as if he was ready to murder it with all that he had, and I wouldn't be surprised if he did. Percy looked scary when he was angry, and it was worse because he wasn't angry at anybody else except for him. He blamed himself for Tyson death. But when he looked up and met my eyes with a terrible glare, I backed away closer to Annabeth. I realised that he was angry at me too. I couldn't keep the gaze, and I looked away and out to the ocean.

I didn't think I'd be as sad as I felt over Tyson. I had called him a monster, turned my nose up at him and wished to all the gods that he'd just go away. He brought up too many bad memories, and I expected him to tie Annabeth and Percy up the same way that the Cyclops did to Luke, Thalia and Grover and I'd be that scared little seven-year-old all over again.

But now that he was gone, all I could think about was how he saved Percy. How he risked his life for us against the Hydra. And how he wasted no time in running down straight to the fire, just because his older brother could get hurt. I started to miss his one big eye and his goofy smile and goofy comments. He was the surprising light in the dark that manifested between us after Luke's betrayal. And now he was gone.

Waves lapped at the boat. Annabeth showed Percy the thing she had salvaged from the wreckage—Hermes's Flask (now empty), an airtight bag full of ambrosia, a couple of sailors' shirts and a bottle of Dr Pepper. She also showed him his knapsack—now bitten in half by Scylla. Most of his stuff had floated away, but he still had his bottle of multivitamins Hermes had given him and his sword (which reappeared in his pocket no matter where he lost it).

We sailed for hours on end. We were in the Sea of Monsters now, and I found I wasn't feeling sea sick, mainly because I was too busy staring at the water in fear of a humongous squid that would explode out of the water and attack us. The wind smelled fresh and salty, but it carried a strange metallic scent as well—the same smell that always came before a storm. No matter which way we turned, the sun shined into our eyes. I prayed that that was my father, trying to make up for our admisble talk in my dream last night, but I had a feeling it wasn't. He helped me save Percy, and I owe him for that, but that didn't change the fact that he only made sure I would stay alive this long only for me to die in the future.

We took turns in sipping from the Dr Pepper, shading ourselves with the sail as best as we could. Percy also told us about his recent dream about Grover. By Annabeth and I's estimate, we had less than twenty-four hours to find Grover, assuming Percy's dream was accurate, and assuming Polyphemus didn't change his mind and try to marry Grover earlier.