Chapter Eight

Gwen felt her head bobbing up and down like a dandelion in a strong breeze. "Oh. You have a daughter?"

And presumably the daughter had a mother, because John didn't look old enough to have a child who could transport herself. "Couldn't her mum look after you over Christmas?"

"No. Her dad had a stroke last week, so she's spending Christmas helping him get settled back at home. She's just flying over to drop Agnes off, and she's catching the first flight back tomorrow."

So many questions flooded Gwen's mind that she barely knew where to start. He'd pronounced his daughter's name the French way, An-yes. Did she live in France? Was her mother French? Had his ex planned to spend Christmas at John's before her father had a stroke? When Gwen and John had come close to having sex on his couch, had he been biding his time until his ex arrived?

A horrible thought doused her with frigid reality. What if the woman wasn't his ex? What if she was current? Maybe her father lived elsewhere, and she was bringing their daughter back so she could spend Christmas at home.

"Gwen, I need your help."

She batted away the questions and brought her focus back to him. "Do you? Because it seems like you have someone who can look after you tonight."

He winced. "Caroline won't look after me, and she'll take Agnes back to Aix-en-Provence if she thinks I can't take care of her. I really..." He bit his lower lip. "I always go to their place for Christmas, even though I can only spend a day or two there. This is the first year Agnes is coming here, and it's all so last minute that I don't know how the fu—how the bloody he—how..."

Gwen pushed a sweaty lock of hair off his forehead, telling herself she did it only because her job was to provide what comfort she could.

Liar.

He shifted so he could hold her hand in both of his. Desperation mixed with pain to make his voice crack as he pleaded. "Gwen, I get four weekends and one week a year with my little girl. Spending Christmas with her is the most precious thing I get to do all year. Please. Will you help me?"

Hopeless against his entreaties, she couldn't stop herself from asking, "How?"

Before he could answer, the sounds of chaos erupted from the other side of the curtain. Gwen shot out of her seat, calling over her shoulder. "Rest there till someone comes to collect you for your scan."

She rushed through the curtain to help her colleagues treat a man who'd been hit by a car just outside the hospital. She didn't get another break for hours, and a combination of snow, ice and alcohol kept the A&E bustling. Gwen caught glimpses of him trying not to nod off as he waited to find out how badly he'd damaged himself. Maya spoke to him briefly, presumably to give him the good news that he hadn't fractured his skull so he'd be free to go as soon as he had a ride.

A few times, she glanced up to find him watching her, and her whole body flushed in response. It'd been a long time since the mere sight of a man had caused her belly to clutch.

When her shift ended at six, she finished handing over to one of the night nurses and walked past the nurses' station. To her surprise, a familiar face stood there. "Liam! What are you doing here?"

Her sister's boyfriend smiled, despite the fist-sized contusion discoloring the skin around his eyebrow, and gave her a swift kiss on the cheek. "Came to pick up Shelly."

He must've noted her confusion because he said, "John Sheldon. Big fucker. You went home with him the other night."

Blood rushed to her face. "Cheers, Liam. Appreciate that."

"Just stating facts." He watched her carefully for several uncomfortable seconds before adding, "He's a good bloke, Gwen. A little clueless sometimes, but he's got a good heart."

"He's also got a bruised brain," Gwen said, eager to change the conversation to one she was comfortable having, one based on fact and evidence instead of feeling and emotion. "What are you going to do after you get him home?"

"Give him a big kiss on the forehead and tuck him into bed." Liam shrugged one shoulder. "Then I'll get my arse back home to your sister as soon as I can."

Gwen refused to smile. "He needs looking after, Liam. For at least a couple of days. If you can't do that, is there someone else from the team who can?"

"He, uh..." He shifted his weight from one foot to the other, jamming his fingers into his jeans pockets and thumping his thumbs against his hipbones to an invisible beat. Having met thousands of liars in her life, Gwen recognized the signs. Of course, most of the liars she met were on the hunt for painkillers, not the man who seemed to adore her sister. "He has someone..."

"If you're trying to tell me that his ex will be there, I already know. At least, I assume she's his ex because I know you wouldn't encourage me to think he's a good man if he were involved with someone."

Tension flowed out of his shoulders. "She is his ex. Well, technically, I don't think they were together long enough for her to be considered his ex."

Gwen held up her hand. "Too much information. All I need to know is how he'll be taken care of. He indicated that he didn't want her to know he's ill." HerCaroline. Again with a French accent, Caro-leen.

"Yeah, he mentioned something like that when he phoned me. Look, I know you're worried, but remember who you're talking to. I've had concussions, and I lived alone till I met Tess. He'll be fine."

"Will his daughter?"

He stilled. "What do you mean?"

"From what I understand, he's taking care of his daughter over the holidays. What happens if he loses consciousness? How old is the girl?"

He dragged his bottom lip between his teeth. "Eight...or so? Fuck. I didn't think about that. Ah, shite. I'd better call Tess."

"Why?" John's voice from behind—and above—Gwen made her jump.

She pressed against her heart. "God, you startled me. How does a man your size manage to sneak up on someone?"

"Finesse. I'm very nimble. Also excellent with my hands."

Liam snorted. "Mate, I wouldn't be bragging about your ball-handling skills if I were you."

"I'm not."

"Okay," Gwen broke in, "whatever John's skills—"

"I could demonstrate."

"—we need to figure out a care plan for him."

John cursed under his breath. "I don't need a care plan. Let's get back to Liam and Tess. Why do you need to call her?"

"To break the bad news that I'll be spending Christmas nursing you."

John's jaw unhinged, and Gwen could tell he was about to lose his cool so she laid a hand on his forearm. "You don't need to do that, Liam. I'll look after him."

John's muscles hardened under her touch, and Liam's brows shot up. "Really? Why?"

"Because I owe Tess a really good Christmas gift. A five-thousand-pound Christmas gift. I'm hoping she thinks you're worth at least that."