LXXXIX

Too many people stepping over me
The only thing that's been on my mind
Is the one thing I need before I die
~ Three Days Grace, The Good Life

What the actual fuck had happened to my life?

One minute we were partying across America and enjoying the newfound fame that Fallen Angels was experiencing and the next we were at each other's necks.

Scarlett had leaked the new music of Fallen Angels, claiming it to be her own while Kyle had kissed me.

I sat there with my knee bouncing listening to the boys arguing with their legal team about the song and Scarlett's claims.

From what I have gathered, the song belongs to the band and not an individual.

What it means for the album they had been working on since Christmas, I am unsure of.

Will it cause delays in the production of the album or will it be boycotted because of Scarlett's claims?

There are so many what-ifs and none of us know the answer to those questions.

Not to mention what the kiss with Kyle could do to the release of the album and the relationship within Fallen Angels.

I don't even know how to tell Erik, but I know I need to.

I lean against the bus, waiting for either Erik's aunt or Scarlett to emerge from the bus.

Kyle went in without saying another word to me, with his head hung low.

His eyes couldn't reach mine as he walked by me, never have I seen him so low before.

I almost didn't recognize him.

I try to understand the events that occurred only moments before but I struggle.

I know all of this is weighing him down and that he is struggling with his life.

I don't blame him for what happened, knowing it was only a momentary lapse in judgment, but it would still be wrong to hide this from Erik. I don't want to hide it from him, I want to be open about things like this and the problems that we face.

Erik's aunt is the first one to emerge from the bus with a tired look on her face.

"I always thought that their fighting would end one day." She sits down on one of the lawn chairs and puts her head in her hands, "I always blamed myself for Scarlett's behaviour. Maybe if I had spent more time with her and less with Erik then all of this could have been avoided."

I sit down in the chair beside her and place my hand on her knee, "you know better than anyone else here that what Scarlett is going through is because she's sick and that none of us could have prevented it. All we can do is help her get the treatment she needs and make choices that will aid in that... I don't think being here with Erik and the rest is helping that."

"She always compared herself to him and I knew the moment they said they were making a band with the two of them in it, they were destined to fail."

"What happens now?" I ask, not knowing the answer myself, I don't know the direction we are going to be moving in or if we are moving at all.

The rest of the tour is practically all packed up meaning we will be hitting the road within an hour at the latest.

"I'm going to take Scarlett back to the rehabilitation centre and take the time to be with her. The woman on that bus is not my baby girl." I watch a single tear roll down Rosannie's face as her gaze focuses on the bus.

I do the first thing that comes to mind and pull her in for a hug.

It feels right, especially when she wraps her arms around me, and for a minute I imagine what it would be like if my mother had shown me this compassion.

My thoughts are disturbed by the slam of the bus door hitting the outside wall as Scarlett trudges out of the bus with tears streaming down her face.

She looks at me with a mixture of sadness and anger.

"Scar!" I call out as she falls to the ground and wraps her arms around her knees sobbing.

"What have I done?" She looks at me through her tears, "I screwed up everything in my life because I couldn't function without a drink. I need help, I want to get better, but I don't know how to stop. I keep relapsing and ruining everyone around me's lives."

I let go of Rosannie and allow her to comfort her daughter while I slowly make my way onto the bus, an anxious feeling starting to bubble in my stomach.

"He already told me," Erik says once he sees me, he's the only one in the living quarters of the bus, everyone else seems to have gone to their bunks.

"He did?" I question, sitting down beside him.

"He felt pretty bad about it and apologized to me... I want to be mad at him for kissing you, but after the last few weeks, I understand why it happened. I'm not happy it happened, but it did and now we can move on from it." I stare in awe at how maturely Erik is handling situation.

Here I was, thinking there were gonna be fists flying and bloodshed.

"But I told him if he ever kisses my wife again like that, she has permission to kick his ass." Both of us laugh as we try to make light of the situation.

"What now?" I question after a few minutes of silence.

"We let the lawyers deal with the situation along with the record label figuring out how she got a hold of the song."

"I hope she gets the help she needs, she deserves it."

"We all deserve to have a little bit of the good life after all the shit we've been through."

"I just hope the rest of the summer goes smoother than the last day," I comment as Erik checks his phone.

"She's going to get the help to make a change my aunt said." We both look at each other and cross our fingers that this will finally be the change that she needs. 

Edited by @GirlReader133