Chapter 25

The councilman stalked closer and with his advance came a new cloud of smoke that surrounded us completely, fogging the room and cutting oxygen into a fraction of what it once was. Our group backed away from the intruder, inadvertently cornering ourselves and making an escape impossible.

His eyes swept over our group, almost instantly narrowing on Dustin, and a wide smile slipped onto his face, "There you are."

Lumiere flattened his hand against Dustin's chest and shoved him backwards, causing Dustin to stumble over another pile of books before slamming against the wall. Lumiere blocked view of him with his own body, a shield made of flesh and bone and fury, "Stay away from him, bastard."

Councilman Tucker didn't notice how Lumiere's voice grated like rock against steel. His smile only grew and he held out a hand how one would normally offer help, but in this moment his only offer was less than death but significantly more than pain if we dare not comply, "Come on kiddies, don't make this harder than it has to be." His fingers curled, "Hand over the boy."

Lumiere stepped closer to Dustin and his voice growled lower, "Over your dead body."

The councilman laughed, "If only I were so fortunate."

From behind Councilman Tucker, three more men emerged from the smoke. They flanked him on all sides, awaiting orders, and their presence set us all on edge. Brandon most of all. One of them recognized him and humphed disapprovingly, "We ought to leave sir, I smell a rat."

"Then stop sniffing your own ass." Brandon responded smoothly. He stepped in front of our group and gave a slight bow, from what appeared to be muscle memory rather than actual respect, "Uh ... hello again, Councilman Tucker-"

"Do not address me!" The councilman's unexpected shout caused us all to jump and Brandon scurried backwards, nearly trampling over Bernard while trying to save himself from the hostility in this man's glare, "I hate the way my name sounds when spoken from the mouth of a traitor."

Brandon bowed lower, "I understand, sir. I just wanted to-"

"To be plain, I honestly do not care what you want. We are here for only one reason and that reason is currently braced against a bookshelf with a small, useless guard separating him from myself. Now, if you are done wasting my time, I suggest we move this conference outside," Councilman Tucker waved his hand around his head, "The air is getting a bit thin."

My mind was slow to process his proposition, I was will snagged on the phrase 'we are here' ...

Meaning the Count is here.

Somewhere.

"Move along." Councilman Tucker snapped his fingers and the men surged around him, starting forward as a single unit, in step and marching to the call of their master. They stopped just in front of us and motioned for the door, silently ordering our exit.

None of us moved and the men grew impatient.

One of them grabbed at Corinth. Dustin shoved himself to the front and smacked the man's hand away from his cousin, "Do not touch her, pig."

"Then lead her out," One of them advised, "Before I throw her out."

Corinth pulled Dustin back while Lumiere sauntered to Dustin's side in case further assistance was needed. Bernard and Brandon remained at the back of the group, on my either side, farthest from the altercation, each for their own reasons.

"Coincidentally, we were just on our way out." Dustin shifted Corinth to his other arm, the one farther from the man, then he urged her towards the door with his eyes trailed on those of the man who tried to grab his cousin, "We need to put out the trash."