Chapter Three

We walked into an empty classroom, plenty of seats to choose from so we chose the ones right at the back next to the window. Soon after students came pilling into the room all giddy and speaking loudly. The teacher was nowhere to be seen so everyone just sat and talked. The sound of the door shutting made everyone fall silent as they laid their eyes on the new teacher.

“Hello students” Said the man at the front of the classroom, the same one who had been outside this morning. He looked like he was in his thirties maybe younger. He had stubble around his chin with a little square of hair under his mouth. His shoulder length, brown hair moving every time he paced back and forth.  He was wearing a white shirt, braces, a black blazer and a black tie making him look very formal. “I’m Mr Reese and I’ll be taking over from Mrs Ashdon” He didn’t wait long before he began handing out books and telling us to read them whilst he typed something on his computer. “Try and finish this by the end of the lesson please as this is what we will be studying for the next couple of weeks”  The book that was in front of me was called ‘Inspector calls’ and I have read it countless times before as it was one of my favourite books, ever. It took me less than twenty minutes to finish it all smiling when I read the last paragraph, my favourite part. I was about to read it again when I heard Leigh trying to get my attention.

“Pst. What do you think about him? Good looking or not?” This was our typical convocation when it came to getting a new male teacher or being teached by them for the first time. I considered this for a moment looking at him closely and studying his face. He had olive green eyes that you could lose yourself in. Finally I decided yes.

“Yeah he’s alright actually” She made a face that showed she thought differently and went back to reading the first act page ten that she was still on. I looked up and was met by his eyes, a smile formed on his face. He had heard, I quickly looked down feeling a heat spread across my face and carried on reading. I was telling the truth he was alright but not hot enough that he made me act like all the other girls. Most of the girls couldn’t keep their eyes off of him and kept whispering under hushed voices about him. I was sure he would notice this and if he had he was good at not showing it. A shadow formed over my book and when I looked up he was standing there smiling.

“What do you think?” He asked.

“I love it, it’s one of my favourite books” I said smiling down at the book.

“Same, what bits you’re most favourite?”

“The ending” I chuckled.

“Same” He smiled. “Good” He tapped the book with his finger before carrying on walking round the classroom to see other students. I looked up one last time just as he looked away, avoiding eye contact. Then the bell went signalling for the next lesson but it turned out that we had double English so nobody moved. “Have you finished reading yet?” He asked the class, a majority of people said no so he sighed and let them continue reading. I closed my book and pulled out my notebook full of ideas for things that popped to my head. I had recently begun writing a book so every idea went down in this book to be worked on and then added to the story. The time went by so quick I was shocked to hear the bell ring and students quickly packing away their things. I picked the book up and placed it on his table. “Thank you, miss?”

“Sterling, Arema Sterling” He nodded and smiled, taking the book and putting it into a draw full of them. Leigh was waiting outside for me when I entered the hallway, a huge smile across her face. “What?” I asked.

“Guess what next lesson is after break?” She was practically jumping off the ground with excitement telling me exactly what was next. I sighed and shook my head.

“History”

“Come on then let’s go and see Charlie”